Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Odd Mosin Marks. ID Please

Article about: I have a Mosin Nagant rifle that does not seem to fit any of the ID information I've thusfar been able to find. It was made in the Ishevk factory and has a date of 1895. That's where it stop

Default Odd Mosin Marks. ID Please

I have a Mosin Nagant rifle that does not seem to fit any of the ID information I've thusfar been able to find. It was made in the Ishevk factory and has a date of 1895. That's where it stops being easy.

Octagonal receiver, Tzar/Imperial eagle stamp with a III below it. To add to the oddity, the gun is 40" long and has a stock configuration closest to the M38 including sling slots cut into the stock, forearm metal lined, buttstock not. It also has the sights of a M38 rifle including the 1/2" round sight on the end of the barrel. No evidence of bayonet.

Any ideas/suggestions about the real date of this gun?

Thanks

George

Thanks

Default Re: Odd Mosin Marks. ID Please

Sounds like you have a modified M91 rifle that was cut down to a M38, thus being called a M91/38. This was done in Czechoslovakia. Here's a good link on them The M91/38 Carbine

Quote by theotherhomer View Post
    Sounds like you have a modified M91 rifle that was cut down to a M38, thus being called a M91/38. This was done in Czechoslovakia. Here's a good link on them The M91/38 Carbine
    Well, well, well, well! Turns out that is EXACTLY what I have right down to the T in a circle!

This is quite fascinating. Many multitudes of gratitude for pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks!

George

No problem, glad I could help you find out what your rifle was.

Take care,
    George