Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Original literature for Sten Submachine Gun. (Help with a 3D model)

Article about: You could try writing to the Leeds Armoury, i believe they have original technical drawings, that were produced in the Cheshunt offices and tech design shop before being passed to Lee Enfiel

Default Original literature for Sten Submachine Gun. (Help with a 3D model)

Hello all.

I hope this is the right place to post this question!

I work in film and TV post production and am looking for some help with a personal project that I am currently working on. I am creating a 3D model of a MK II Sten Gun which I intend to use in an animation.

For this project I need to find examples of original WW2 literature (copies are fine) relating to the Sten Gun. Was there a definitive manual issued to troops using the Sten or anything similar? If so can anyone point me in the right direction?

If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it! Also I have uploaded some images of my 3D model below. It is still very much a work in progress but if anyone would like to comment on any obvious inaccuracies in how it looks or how it could be improved they would be most welcome.

Ash
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original literature for Sten Submachine Gun. (Help with a 3D model)   Original literature for Sten Submachine Gun. (Help with a 3D model)  

Default Re: Original literature for Sten Submachine Gun. (Help with a 3D model)

The 3D model looks perfect!
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Thank you! I will post some more pics at some stage.

Hi Ash, looking good. I have a copy of the Small Arms Training Manual, "Sten 9mm Machine Carbine", 1942 in my collection.

Cheers, Ade.

Looks good, the only pointers I have is that the cocking handle need to be at an angel in the slot. You have the handle coming out at 90 degrees to the gun whereas it should be 90 degrees in the slot. Also, it looks like the block is forward and back, i.e. the breech block is way to long. It looks like the back of the block is near the safety slot, to ascertain the rightish length, imagine the cocking handle in the safety slot and how much of the block would fit behind that slot. At the moment, if you were to cock the gun in your image, you would have 3 inch of block hanging out the back.

Is it a easy fix?

Ade - Thanks for that, I'm going to see if I can get hold of a copy of the "Small Arms Training Manual". I did come across a Home Guard pamphlet entitled "Sten Machine Carbine" by The Bravon Ledger Company. 4th Edition, September 1942. It was sold as an original but I don't know if there is any way to tell.

m3bobby- That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for! After checking you are indeed right and I will change the model as soon as I get to my computer on Monday (I will post pics here), it's a fairly easy fix.

Thanks again guys.

Fantastic looking model Ash the detail is fantastic and beats anything that I've seen before, I noticed you even used rifling inside the barrel, nice one

Thanks for showing and all the best with the project

Danny

?

hi Ash,worldwidearms sell a booklet for about 2 Pounds which even inclueds the postage on Sten guns.Good Luck with yer project!!

Danny - Thanks for your comments! The detail is a really important part of this project so glad you noticed! I will hopefully post a few more pics here tomorrow.

Lew07 -Thanks for that, great prices on that site! The pamphlet they sell is the Home Guard one that I purchased from eBay.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast