Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

P14 or K98k?

Article about: While doing some more 'research', I found someone who has a Vet bring back DOU 44 with a 33/40. Did they start making them like that? http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....&highlight=do

Default P14 or K98k?

Have the chance to pick one of the two up, one is Eddystone P14 with what appears to be a grenade launching sight disc still in the stock, caliber .303. The second rifle is a DOU or DOT 1944 K98 with G33/40 bolt, no blueing left after the wood line. The K98 has strong rifling,and but I'm not sure about the P14 right now. What would you guys choose? Both have pretty dinged up stocks as well, and no modifications have been done to them.

Default Re: P14 or K98k?

I'd get both if I could, but if a decision between the two has to be made, I'd go
    for the K98. If they are both dinged up, the price should reflect that and be
    very reasonable.

The K98 may be a vet bring-back, and so perhaps more historic/valuable
    and the P14 - equipped with a grenade launcher sight - could likely be
    an inferior piece.........
    Regards,

Steve.

I don't believe the K98k is a vet bring back, I forgot to go into detail about the bolt, the bolt body is from a G33/40, the rest is all matching late war components. There's something about the Mauser that makes me want it, might be well used look, not sure though. I think the K98 is from an Eastern bloc country, Romanian maybe?

?

I have both and it would all depend on how much you want to spend on your AMMO and how much you want to shoot it. 8mm Mauser/Cheap VS .303 Brit/NOT CHEAP.

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    I have both and it would all depend on how much you want to spend on your AMMO and how much you want to shoot it. 8mm Mauser/Cheap VS .303 Brit/NOT CHEAP.

That's what I've let it come down to. While I'd like to have a .303 chambered rifle, the ammo would end up costing more than the rifle in the end. I can find plenty of cheap 8MM locally so I'm leaning towards the Mauser

The K98! - I prefer shooting it to the P14.
    The price of .303 also ***** - sorry to use unimaginative descriptive words.

Pit.

Went with the K98, it's a DOU 44, SN: 8355J, no SN on the receiver but the barrel has it. Bore is dark , strong rifling. Peened Swastikas but those don't matter. Should be a fun rifle. Can't wait to pick it up.

George
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture P14 or K98k?   P14 or K98k?  

P14 or K98k?  
    Last edited by theotherhomer; 11-07-2012 at 03:20 AM.

?

dou = Waffenwerke Brunn AG, Bystrica Czechoslovakia
    Have fun with it!!!! I love sharing my K98's with my friends when we are out shooting!! I hand them a couple box's of good old 198 grn bullets and then ask to see their black and blue shoulder the next day!! !

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    A good loading press and a set of dies would fix that problem I would think.

?

I agree with you,( I reload the .303 I shoot) but for the occasional shooter who doesn't reload, there just isn't any surplus 303 out there anymore and you can't beat the price of some of the surplus 8mm deals around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast