Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Pepperbox revolver

Article about: Came across this nice little 7mm pinfire revolver recently, can somebody advise me should i try to clean it up or just leave as is. french or belgian no markings what would be the date made,

?

Default Pepperbox revolver

Came across this nice little 7mm pinfire revolver recently, can somebody advise me should i try to clean it up or just leave as is. french or belgian no markings what would be the date made, thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pepperbox revolver   Pepperbox revolver  

Default Re: Pepperbox revolver

Don't go mad, a little gun oil wouldn't hurt it though. It's a mid 19th century 6 shot double action pin fire pepperbox revolver with a folding trigger and the barrels should be rifled. Nice to see the ejector rod is still in the butt, as these are often missing. Made in Belgium by the million.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Thanks Ned, suppose a drop of oil might do the trick, no rifling to barrels. all the best Willie

barrels that short don't even need rifling lol its more a get close to your attacker and blow him away point blank

Quote by crites1234 View Post
    barrels that short don't even need rifling lol its more a get close to your attacker and blow him away point blank
    You've got a point there, but I'm sure I've seen these with rifled barrels, but they have been a bit better quality with scrollwork engraving and some brass fittings mind you. I'll have a mooch.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I would assume that since this particular revolver is not built to a higher quality (no gold engravings,Ivory handles etc) I would assume that it would be an inexpensive weapon at the time and so perhaps in an afford for the maker to cut costs he simply didn't create riflinging for this series of revolvers. less time spent on the handy work is a dollar saved for the consumer.

An interesting link regarding these weapons. They could be either smooth bore or rifled, the rifled ones being stamped with an 'R' for rifled (Raye in Belgian), although to be fair the majority appear to be smooth, including the model above, as it is comprehensively shown here:

7mm Pinfired PepperBox.. 56K Beware - AR15.Com Archive

Regards, Ned.

A small amount of oiling is all I would to it.
    It's a nice little piece.........
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 01-21-2013 at 11:47 PM. Reason: spelling....
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Like to say thank you for your help, ned,crites1234 and steve.