Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Picked up another cyq today.

Article about: I wasn't really in the market for one but this one was priced so right I couldn't pass it up. It came to me missing the rear sight and extractor. When I took it apart I found the last owner

Default Picked up another cyq today.

I wasn't really in the market for one but this one was priced so right I couldn't pass it up. It came to me missing the rear sight and extractor. When I took it apart I found the last owner tried to take it apart and put it back together. They put the firing pin in upside down and apparently when they couldn't get it all back together lost some parts. I have an extra cyq so I borrowed parts off of it just to make sure everything worked. Then it took about 20 minutes surfing on the net to find the right parts to fix it. At any rate it is a July 43 production with no import marks and a mirror bore and all number matching parts.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Picked up another cyq today.   Picked up another cyq today.  

Picked up another cyq today.   Picked up another cyq today.  

?

Nice find and restoration Max, congratulations!
    Regards,
    John

?

Bakelite grips ??? Either way a great find and really a nice looker....Gwar

Quote by Gwar View Post
    Bakelite grips ??? Either way a great find and really a nice looker....Gwar
    Yes, bakelite grips. It is my understanding all except the early production Walther used bakelite. These have the proof 1/MD/41 at the top of each grip panel on the back side and the lower side left grip is a circle with a 7 and the right is a circle with a 10.

"Grips Used in Spreewerk Production

The color of the grips will run dark brown to nearly black bakelite thru mid 1943 then
    reddish brown or dark brown thru end of war.

Approximately, the first 20,000 (till the end of the "a" suffix) guns had grips from Walther/Mauser. Therefore, they will be brownish black Bakelite with the 1528 & 1529 mold numbers as described above and some very early guns may have the e/359 marking in one or both grip panels. After that, they were generally a very dark, very hard, shiny bakelite. The grips will have the first circle with the "MD" marking inside the grip with 1W above the MD and either 41 or 31 under it (I examined a grip number under the MD which could be mistaken for a 37 but the number appears to me as a 31 with a slightly bigger "crown" on the 1). The second circle has a number from 1 - 12 in it, these are the grip position numbers in the mold.

These are the mold position numbers as I have seen them, each mold had 12 grips.

Left grip have 1,2,3,7,8,9
    Right grip have 4,5,6,10,11,12 "

Very Nice Gun! I have a Walther A/C 42 that is one of my frequent shooters.

Didn't realize Homer Simpson used to collect P38s-'parts left over'....

I got a chance to make sure the weapon functioned good yesterday. Put about 50 rounds down the tube without an issue. Cleaned it up last night and thanks to bad weather I got a chance to take some decent photos of it today. Everything except the rear sight and extractor which came from another cyq appear to be original. I have to think the weapon had zero issues and someone took it apart to clean, forced the firing pin in upside down and then couldn't get it back out and you can't get the firing pin locks in with the firing pin upside down. In the end I am ashamed to admit how little I have in this weapon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Picked up another cyq today.   Picked up another cyq today.  

Picked up another cyq today.  
    Last edited by Logictox; 12-06-2013 at 09:01 PM.

?

Nice P.38, bore looks pretty good by my standards too. Glad the pistol made it back to some hands that can properly assemble it!!