MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Pistol/revolver thread

Article about: Thanks Taltom, I wish I lived in the last place god made! Do you want to share us some close-ups from your nice pistol shown in your avatar? @ Steve, For how much does a Steyr M1912 go for i

?

Default Re: Pistol/revolver thread

Well, the grip notches on the M/23 certainly look to have been carved there with a purpose. I kinda doubt they're kill markings though, for 3 reasons. First, I very much doubt that many people have killed 5 people with a handgun in war, they're very much weapons of last resort. Second, getting captured with a weapon covered in kill markings is a GREAT way to get yourself summarily executed. Third, although I made it through my tour in Afghanistan without having to directly kill someone, I know plenty of people that didn't and most of them weren't too interested in commemorating it.

The cypher on the Nagant is for Leopold II, and interestingly enough the DOUANE BELGE marking says that this one was passed to the Belgian Customs Service after it was phased out of army service following WW1.

Here's a Gasser 2nd Model Montenegrin revolver, made in Belgium for sale in Montenegro, in accordance with King Nicholas 1's decree that every male subject would own a Gasser pattern revolver. This one is a 5 shot in 10.75 x 36mm. Although there were never officially Montenegrin army issue, I have to imagine a fair number of them were used by Montenegrin soldiers in WW1.

This is a Colt 1905 auto in .45ACP, made in 1911 (last year of production) and shipped to London in an order of 25, where it received British proof marks. Some people suggest they were being tested by the British government, but I think it more likely it was for commercial sale, given as by then the 1911 was very much on the horizon. I think there is, however, a pretty decent chance this one was a British officer's sidearm in WW1. Unfortunately it's been refinished, but the Colt 1905 is rare enough I'm happy to live with it!

WW2 Canadian contract Smith & Wesson Military & Police in .38 S&W, one of the very early ones with 6" barrels and full commercial finish.

WW2 Canadian Hi Power No.2 Mk.I*, made in 1944 by the John Inglis boiler company in Toronto. This one is Canadian marked, and so was not one of the ones sent to Britain. Still in service with the Canadian Forces - I carried one made a year later while overseas.

You have very nice firearms, Nyles!
    And good descriptions.

Regards

Quote by Nyles View Post
    Well, the grip notches on the M/23 certainly look to have been carved there with a purpose. I kinda doubt they're kill markings though, for 3 reasons. First, I very much doubt that many people have killed 5 people with a handgun in war, they're very much weapons of last resort. Second, getting captured with a weapon covered in kill markings is a GREAT way to get yourself summarily executed. Third, although I made it through my tour in Afghanistan without having to directly kill someone, I know plenty of people that didn't and most of them weren't too interested in commemorating it.

The cypher on the Nagant is for Leopold II, and interestingly enough the DOUANE BELGE marking says that this one was passed to the Belgian Customs Service after it was phased out of army service following WW1.

Here's a Gasser 2nd Model Montenegrin revolver, made in Belgium for sale in Montenegro, in accordance with King Nicholas 1's decree that every male subject would own a Gasser pattern revolver. This one is a 5 shot in 10.75 x 36mm. Although there were never officially Montenegrin army issue, I have to imagine a fair number of them were used by Montenegrin soldiers in WW1.

This is a Colt 1905 auto in .45ACP, made in 1911 (last year of production) and shipped to London in an order of 25, where it received British proof marks. Some people suggest they were being tested by the British government, but I think it more likely it was for commercial sale, given as by then the 1911 was very much on the horizon. I think there is, however, a pretty decent chance this one was a British officer's sidearm in WW1. Unfortunately it's been refinished, but the Colt 1905 is rare enough I'm happy to live with it!

WW2 Canadian contract Smith & Wesson Military & Police in .38 S&W, one of the very early ones with 6" barrels and full commercial finish.

WW2 Canadian Hi Power No.2 Mk.I*, made in 1944 by the John Inglis boiler company in Toronto. This one is Canadian marked, and so was not one of the ones sent to Britain. Still in service with the Canadian Forces - I carried one made a year later while overseas.

Outstanding handguns Nyles...
    Your comments on the notches are right on target i guess...
    You wouldn't believe how many Montenegrins are dispersed throughout the Balkans. It was used by Montenegrins, Greeks, Serbs, Bulgarians, even from their enemies the Turks. The cartridges are obsolete and are a collectors find.
    Didn't know the Browning was still issued to Canadian Forces. I was issued a Colt 1911A1 when serving my Army duty in Greece made in 1945 as i recall.
    Take care, Thanos.

My contribution. I was going to post it in a new thread but i just noticed this one so i thought to post here instead.
    A 1934 Kriegsmarine Mauser with a 1940 Kriegsmarine holster. The numbers on the gun are all matching. Unfortunately it has been deactivated. The holster has the name of the soldier who owned it but unfortunately i can't make it out.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pistol/revolver thread   Pistol/revolver thread  

Pistol/revolver thread   Pistol/revolver thread  

Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

The pistol
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pistol/revolver thread   Pistol/revolver thread  

Very nice pistol!
    Thanks for showing!

Regards

Thanks Ingrid, cheers

very nice pistol is it deactivated or not

tom

Quote by donkihotis7 View Post
    The pistol
    Outstanding handgun you got there, donkihotis7...
    Καταπληκτικό όπλο και φυσικά η θήκη του !!!
    Keep up the good work.
    Regards, Thanos.

Quote by talltom View Post
    very nice pistol is it deactivated or not

tom
    Yes Tom, unfortunately it is.

Efharisto Thanos

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast