Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Possible Type 99 Purchase

Article about: After some reaserch I have found a nice Japanese Type 99 that I may buy. This is a Nagoya arsenal series 3 (I think). It is all-matching and has the mum. It has the anti-aircraft wings intac

Question Possible Type 99 Purchase

After some reaserch I have found a nice Japanese Type 99 that I may buy. This is a Nagoya arsenal series 3 (I think). It is all-matching and has the mum. It has the anti-aircraft wings intact, but it has no dust cover or mono pod.

Is this a good rifle? (not messed with)

Many Thanks, S. Martin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Possible Type 99 Purchase   Possible Type 99 Purchase  

Possible Type 99 Purchase   Possible Type 99 Purchase  

Possible Type 99 Purchase  
    Attached Images Attached Images Possible Type 99 Purchase 

Default Re: Possible Type 99 Purchase

I am not an expert, so I dont know what to look for in a "bad example."

Does this one have a duffle cut?

Hi, I cannot advise on the rifle, as they are a weapon I have very little experience with. I have only ever handled 3 or 4 of these. Having the Mum is a bonus. But I think I would like to see the dust cover in place.

I can see no evidence of this one being a "duffle bag" cut. The stock appears to have no non original joints.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks for the help

Still open for new ideas.

Many Thanks, S. Martin

Hi S. Martin, I agree with Ade, it would be more desirous with the dust cover. He has much more collecting experience than I, and his stuff is A+++ top quality. The only thing I would add, is the cost factor. I don't know if money is an issue with you but that all matching gun is gonna cost a chunk. It's a beauty though! You also need to check it for an import mark when it went through the states, that affects the price. The largest percentage of the Arisaka's don't have the dust cover. I've read the soldiers hated them because they actually held more dirt when they were stuck in combat situations. Anyway I'm rambling. Go watch things on Guns - Online Gun Auction - Guns at GunBroker.com for awhile so you get a feel for prices. They usually have a dozen or so Arisaka's on there. I've bought and sold many guns on the sight with no problems. Knowledge is the key my friend. Good Luck!

I have watched gun broker for quite some time now.... this gun is for sale at $500. This is a little high, but it is a great dealer with a return policy. I just recently saw a Type 99 all matching with mum + aircraft sights + dust cover + monopod go for $1100!!!!!!

Where is the import mark?

$500 is the most I can spend... this is the best one I have found so far.

Smile Re: Possible Type 99 Purchase

I forgot to add this important point. I think I read one of your posts earlier about gun locks and this was your first gun. By all means if you find a good buy and can make an informed choice go for it. But, I know from experience, making that first purchase is like going on your first serious date. Once you hold it, your heart starts racing, and you get light headed, so don't rush, I assure you the Japanese made a whole bunch of these, and the prices have been holding pretty steady. Have fun, but do your research.

Thanks for the quick responce.

Where on the rifle would an import mark be?

Many Thanks, S. Martin

It usually is on the bottom side of the barrel near the stock. It will be in very small stamped letters. Sometimes the more quality minded importers put it on the barrel under the stock. You would have to take the barrel off. That is a great price for that gun! I would not hesitate paying $500 for that gun with or without an import mark. It is a beautiful example. How does the bore look? It's probably dark, but is it pitted?

I dont yet know about the bore, once I hear from the seller I will either post pictures or tell what he said.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast