Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Possible ww2 Era Trench shotgun Heat shields

Article about: I came across these for sale and thought about getting both. I defiently want one for a close reproduction trench gun im building but Im not sure how 100 percent these are?. I noticed the li

FNG
    ?

Default Possible ww2 Era Trench shotgun Heat shields

I came across these for sale and thought about getting both. I defiently want one for a close reproduction trench gun im building but Im not sure how 100 percent these are?. I noticed the little half w on the black looking one so I assume its a winchester. THe second one Im not sure. I noticed the rivets are not grounded down so maybe the heat shield part of it was added? Im not sure Im stumped on this one and I have to purchase atleast of them today. Any thoughts would be helpful. Two seperate pictures of each one.

Possible ww2 Era Trench shotgun Heat shieldsPossible ww2 Era Trench shotgun Heat shieldsPossible ww2 Era Trench shotgun Heat shields

here is the second one

Possible ww2 Era Trench shotgun Heat shieldsPossible ww2 Era Trench shotgun Heat shieldsPossible ww2 Era Trench shotgun Heat shieldsPossible ww2 Era Trench shotgun Heat shields

I've no idea if it's authentic, though it does look like it's from a Winchester trench shotgun. But this does raise an interesting point. The use of shotguns in WW1 and WW2 was pretty much limited to Amercians. It was US forces that introduced the shotgun to late WW1 trench warfare, as a potential gamechanger. But the Germans protested and said any soldier caught with a shotgun would be executed on the spot. The general belief of the "old countries" was shotguns were for hunting and "unmilitary" and probably unsporting. In WW2 again they were seldom used by any other nation, except by US marines in the Pacific war. But I did read recently of a SS officer who gave prosecution evidence during the war crime trials of the killers of SAS prisoners. This man had been in command of a unit guarding factories in the Strasbourg area in 1944. They were issued with shotguns which alarmed him as he feared what would happen if the American's caught them with shotguns. He believed they were contrary to the Geneva Convention. So when the Allied breakthrough came, he ordered his men to throw their shotguns in the river. He consequently was arrested by the SS and sent to a concentration camp.