Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

PPK fake?

Article about: Help determine. This is a fake or ....? on our forum this has been identified as fake According to the owner of the bone lining The owner does not claim that this is the original, he wants t

Default Re: PPK fake?

How can we prove this one to be a fake, by the serial number or what, as this one seems to beautifully well done.

Brian

The engraving on these pieces is rather arthritic compared to any professionally engraved guns.

The outlined borders are crooked, also the engraved oakleaves are too shallow,
    and only 'chased'. They do not have a three dimensional quality that true
    professional engravers' works of art exhibit..........

Look at the 'flat' between the grip and just behind the trigger. Also look at the surrounds
    that enclose the logo and wording on the slide - these should be much better balanced
    as well as perfectly centered, and come no where near the lettering at all............
    Plus, the letters of the motto/sentiment on the slides top left are all
    different sizes and thicknesses.
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 06-10-2010 at 01:41 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

Hello-it seems to me that people are surprised that so much militaria can be fake when counterfeiting is so common around the world these days-art, banknotes, fashion, medicines, cameras...anything that's worth a good quid can & is faked. When suddenly previously rare or indeed only rumored pieces turn up by the truck load, don't alarm bells start ringing? That this forum is a useful 'alarm bell' is very important.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Hello-it seems to me that people are surprised that so much militaria can be fake when counterfeiting is so common around the world these days-art, banknotes, fashion, medicines, cameras...anything that's worth a good quid can & is faked. When suddenly previously rare or indeed only rumored pieces turn up by the truck load, don't alarm bells start ringing? That this forum is a useful 'alarm bell' is very important.
    I agree 100% with you, but i have not seen that many of these engraved pistols at all.

Brian

Well I ran the SN thru the Walther list and it is a K type SS PPK ORIGINALLY before the engraving and gold plating.

It seems as if there are several individuals who are in the business of "reworking" period PPK's into "high ticket" PPK's which is a shame because I would prefer a nice , clean user PPK of "the period" over a gold plated turd PPK.

Could you please share that web site with me, on the Walther pistols.

thanks
    Brian

You are right Lithgow !

There is indeed a lot of 'rare' TR material floating around now than there was
    even 10 years ago. Most of the 'dealers' I see at shows these days have
    more bogus junk on their tables than genuine pieces.

It is very strange how suddenly there are so many things available today
    that were only seen in reference books 20 or 30 years ago..........!

It's a 'crap-shoot' if you don't know good from bad.
    For this reason the forum is very important, as you have said.
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by blackheart0866 View Post
    Could you please share that web site with me, on the Walther pistols.

thanks
    Brian
    Jan C Still Luger Pistols Central Powers Axis Pistols Discussion Boards From Gunboards.com - Powered by vBulletin

Quote by blackheart0866 View Post
    Too bad its deactivated, as even if its a fake, it would still be nice to have.

Brian
    Hi Brian !

I agree with you ! They would make excellent display pieces, and be very nice to have !

The problem is, once these go up for sale, the price is inflated beyond reason. I can understand huge prices for original pieces, but not for faked ones. If they were $500 or $600 more - simply for the time and talent involved - OK.....But these are way too much for 're-worked' pistols.

During the mid 70's in my teens, I had the privledge of seeing and handling two 'Presentation' Lugers that were 'done up' or 'one-offs' so to speak. I don't know if they were the real deal or not, but they sure looked great !

One was a Navy model that had some of it's smaller parts plated gold, and ivory grips with national eagles and swastikas carved into them. The other, a standard P-08, was nickel plated with 'mother of pearl' grips that had inlaid swastika and SS rune discs. They were selling at the time for $2000 each.

As I recall, there was still grease in the barrels of both..........
    Regards,

Steve.

Yes, i could see some of these pistols going for the 2-3 K price ranges, but 30,000 to 50,000 is just out right stupid....

Brian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast