Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Original Mosin Nagant snipers being offered in the UK

Article about: Hi Everyone, Apologies i beleive this is my first post for a very long time, i collect mainly soviet weaponry and have a question, i see several Soviet Mosin nagant snipers being offered for

Default Question Original Mosin Nagant snipers being offered in the UK

Hi Everyone,

Apologies i beleive this is my first post for a very long time, i collect mainly soviet weaponry and have a question, i see several Soviet Mosin nagant snipers being offered for sale in the uk at the moment, all with turned down bolts, original scopes with force matched electro stencilled seriel numbers on the mounts, what puzzles me is all these snipers i have seen have the serial number of the rifle stamped on the left hand side of the receivier as well as the top? (not the scope number on the left hand side of the barrel, some have a scope number, some dont) i have been comparing these to snipers i have seen non refurbished, and ones imported in the the US and have never seen ones with the dual serial number stamped on the left hand side of the receiver as well as the top, is this common?

Not sure I can answer your specific question but I know that there are several Firearms dealers here in the UK who are making up 'sniper' rifles from standard MS 81/30 rifles with mixtures of original and repro scopes and mounts, they are not trying to pass them off as genuine but there are a lot of them about, I recently sold a M44 carbine which I bought last year which was standard apart from a turn down bolt handle (live firer on UK FAC)

I am going to a Antique & Vintage Arms fair tomorrow and expect to see a lot of them for sale at the £600-£750 mark............at the moment I own a sniper version and a M44 carbine both live, I will take a look at the sniper and see what and where the serial numbers are stamped, I will post some pictures later.

I dont think these are made up sniper rifles, some have scope number on the left hand side of the barrel chamber, electro stencilled matched mounts, original scopes and original turned down bolt handles, iv just never come across any with the duplicated rifles serial number on the left of the receiver - they all appear to be refurbs like the stuff that came out of ukraine, there was a huge batch of Molot refurbs that came out of russia , these have similar Diamaond molot markings added to them, but they dont have the rifles serial number added to the left hand side of the receiver, i have no doubt they are original snipers, but the duplicated serial number on the left of the receiver puzzles me

Just found these photos of my sniper variant, no serial number on the left of the receiver.........a few of these in our club and I dont recall seeing the serial number on the left of the receiver on any of them, the caliber is a common mark here along with other stampings.............bit of a mystery to me..........is the stamping in the same Cyrillic script or is it western/Roman numerals style....?

You'll notice the rifle serial number stamped on the scope mount, is this where you are seeing it ??
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question Original Mosin Nagant snipers being offered in the UK   Question Original Mosin Nagant snipers being offered in the UK  

Yes exactly like that with electtro stencilled serials on mounts, the serial number prefix on the left of the receiver is a match in cyrilic to the rifles serial number, the only possible reason i can think is added during the refurbishing

is that an izzy 1942 sniper btw?, looks like it from the rough machining on the barrel and receiver

Yes its a '42........just to clarify, you're saying the rifle serial number is repeated on the scope mount...OR...the receiver/knoxform area....if its stamped on the scope mount this was done because the mount was machined to fit the individual rifle and the intention was that they should remain together......the stencilled number was the original scope number the intention being that the original scope should ideally remain with the original scope/rifle set up.....of course during post war refurbs this did'nt always happen which accounts for the mismatch often found between the stencilled scope number and the number found on the scopes.

No the rifles serial number is stamped on top of the barrel, with the izhevsk markings, and the serial number is duplicted even down the the cyrilic prefixes on the left hand side of the receiver just at the side to the left of the scope mount

OK got it.........no I have not seen the serial number repeated in that position and I cant see any reason for doing it....its not like the receiver can be seperated in that area..??....I will keep an eye out for this on any Mossies I come across....interesting.

?

Original Izhevsk snipers typically had the Sn of the scope stamped on the left of the barrel just in front of the receiver. Original Tula snipers were not normally stamped with the SN during production.

Most of the snipers seen today are refurbished - they went through a post-WWII refurb process. The scopes were removed and refurbished, too. In most cases, the scope number on the Izhevsk rifles was either stamped through or ground off. Many of the rifles were then re-stamped with a new scope number (both Izhevsk and Tulas) and the scope SN was electro-penciled on the scope mount, too.

"42 was the first year for PU snipers. I have a '42 Izhevsk also - it was an ex-sniper that I restored.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast