Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Question regarding electro pencil numbers on a K98.

Article about: Picked up a byf 43 K98 today, from a dusty little pawn store an hour South of town. All matching numbers, all matching bolt, all metal fittings matching - everything except the unnumbered bu

Default Question regarding electro pencil numbers on a K98.

Picked up a byf 43 K98 today, from a dusty little pawn store an hour South of town.
    All matching numbers, all matching bolt, all metal fittings matching - everything except the unnumbered buttplate is the same serial number. Un touched stock, unpeened eagles, and the sling, and sight cover all look original, too.
    The rifle had been at the store for years, but that means nothing.

There are no Russian "crossed swords" markings, and there is no import address on the rifle (I know this doesn't mean it is not RC or imported, just not marked.)
    However - there is a 8-9 digit electro stenciled number on the barrel and receiver, and also on the woodwork hand-guard. This number does not match the serial number on the rifle.

The rifle is in lock-up for ten days and then I can post pictures.
    But the above description covers it pretty concisely.

It was amongst a barrel of sporterized military rifles and was the same price, so I am not concerned about value more about the nature of the electro stencil numbers - I know the G43's and MG42's had electro stenciled numbers on them, pre-capture, I am just not familiar enough with K98's.

Any pre-posted-picture thoughts as to the nature of this one?

Pit.

Default Re: Question regarding electro pencil numbers on a K98.

Here are the pics - K98 out of jail and in collection now. Any info. on the additional number engraving would be helpful.

Repeat - all serial numbers numbers match on everything!

The electro pencil engraving is a different number to the serial but also matches where it has been applied. No import, capture or other markings at all.

Pit.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question regarding electro pencil numbers on a K98.   Question regarding electro pencil numbers on a K98.  

Question regarding electro pencil numbers on a K98.   Question regarding electro pencil numbers on a K98.  

Question regarding electro pencil numbers on a K98.   Question regarding electro pencil numbers on a K98.  

Question regarding electro pencil numbers on a K98.  

Hi Pit, I have copied your pics, resized them and posted them back in your thread. Please don't use outside links.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I suspect it is a R/C but not an arsenal refurbished example-good enough not to need it. How is the bore on it?

Thank - you Ade, I thought photobucket was OK - I will make a note, and transfer pics from phone to my HD from now on - sorry you had to do all that work.
    Lithgow - the bore is good - I have had a half dozen or so RC's (all but one of them were phenomenal shooters BTW), so I'm no expert by any means, but they all have similarities. At least one of the following (my RC's had all of the following):
    Refinished wood and metal, mismatched bolt, stock parts, electro pencil serial, crossed swords (x mark.) US importers info.,

But the one that is most significant in this case is the lack of US import mark.

I know it is a capture, lol, just determining what kind, and how it remained so intact, with orig sight hood, sling, etc.,

I paid less than I have done for RC's so I am not invested, in anyway other than curiosity.
    In fact, I'll have fun shooting it if it's not a rare one.

Pit.

Bolt group.
    Matching serial with all other parts.

2012-12-21164938.jpg

Pit.
    *Ok, so coming for my HD didn't work either.
    Attached Images Attached Images

?

Maybe the EP`d numbers are someones SIN to ID it?...Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE