Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Questions Regarding a Type 38 Rifle

Article about: Hi there, I recently posted about looking for a helmet, but have decided for my first ww2 purchase to be a Arisaka Type 38 or Type 99 Rifle. However, I would like some help in determining th

Default Questions Regarding a Type 38 Rifle

Hi there,

I recently posted about looking for a helmet, but have also decided to look into purchasing an Arisaka Type 38 or Type 99 Rifle. However, I would like some help in determining the authenticity of this gun via some pictures. I know almost nothing about rifles and know even less about the Arisaka rifles. I would appreciate any help I could get! I have just edited my post to include some pictures!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Questions Regarding a Type 38 Rifle   Questions Regarding a Type 38 Rifle  

Questions Regarding a Type 38 Rifle   Questions Regarding a Type 38 Rifle  

Last edited by Hoffmavl; 05-16-2016 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Added gun pictures

?

I realize you are new to the forum.
    Post the pictures to the thread.
    Links are deleted and the thread is of no value to the forum.
    After you do this I am sure you will get lots of opinions.

Thanks SteveR I had no idea! I appreciate you letting me know, I have uploaded some pictures of a gun I am interested in!

Hello, You have a very nice Japanese Type 38 Rifle in ca. 6.5mm. It was sent to a Military school for training...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

I haven't purchased this yet, I'm still looking at it. So this gun isn't a weapon that has seen combat? This was most likely a military school training rifle? Thanks again!

I would say YES that it had seen combat. Probably early in China. Later on when the T-99 became standard it was taken from service and sent to a Military school. There is really no rhyme or reason to these weapons in military service or school service. I have a T-38 school weapon, mum with rising sun on top of the mum that was brought home from Luzon by my uncle a 18 year old 81st. Wildcat Division Veteran.. I believe that as the war was in the defeat stages for the Japanese that these weapons were taken from military schools and then reissued to combat soldiers...Just my thoughts...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

MAP
    ?

Quote by Bill Grist View Post
    Hello, You have a very nice Japanese Type 38 Rifle in ca. 6.5mm. It was sent to a Military school for training...BILL
    Bill, do you say it went to the military school because of the "M"? Always happy to learn more but I thought the Military school rifles had the circles punched around the Mum. I have a 38 (or maybe a 99...I forget) with these circles.

Hoff: BTW...very nice rifle. To me, I have no problem at all with a rifle going to a military school. Just adds to the wartime history.

Thanks!

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

If it still has the mum on it that will make it a really nice Japanese rifle.
    Either way it will make a nice addition to any Japanese rifle collection. I wouldn't hesitate to but it.
    And thanks for uploading the pictures friend.

?

Rifles taken out of service and used as school training rifles are typical marked with a series of circles or semi-circles over the mum, as well as markings on sides of stocks.
    Regards,
    John

MAP
    ?

Quote by relicz View Post
    Rifles taken out of service and used as training rifles are typical marked with a series of circles or semi-circles over the mum, as well as markings on sides of stocks.
    My thought as well John as I noted. But the marking on the side is a new one for me. Will have to pull mine out. Do you know where these marks would be?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast