Become our sponsor and display your banner here

On the range with a Mosin Nagant M91/30

Article about: I signed up to shoot a postal match - now an internet match, I guess - on another forum. There are two teams Soviet and Finn - you can shoot any WWII-used standard infantry rifle of either s

?

Default On the range with a Mosin Nagant M91/30

I signed up to shoot a postal match - now an internet match, I guess - on another forum. There are two teams Soviet and Finn - you can shoot any WWII-used standard infantry rifle of either side using open sights. Targets are fired at 50 yards and you can submit two record targets per month through April. Surplus ammo is to be used.

I finally got out yesterday for the first time this month - used my Finn M39 and did OK. Scored an 82/100. This morning I went back out with a 1925 Tula Mosin Nagant M91/30. After firing a few rounds to warm her up, I fired a few more at a bull to see where I was hitting - very low and left. So, I hung the record target and shot my 10 rounds with a lower-left corner of the target paper hold. Scored 91/100 with one pulled round into the 7 ring. Not too bad.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Range Firing Dec 22 2014.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	317.9 KB 
ID:	780519 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	December 22 2014.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	256.0 KB 
ID:	780520
    MarkV
    COL, U.S. Army (Ret.)

?

Nice shooting. I have heard but have not tried it on my 1928 91/30 that if you put the bayonet on, it will compensate for the offset. If anything it gives you a reason to head to the range again!
    Just curious if you were shooting low and to the left, shouldn't you have been holding high and to the right to compensate?
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

That works on an M44 but typically doesn't affect a 91/30. The M44 has the permanently attached, spring loaded, bayonet and it torques the barrel when extended. At 50 yards, I expect to be low - and some of this may also be the ammo. I've never zeroed wither of these rifles, though. Need to do that.
    MarkV
    COL, U.S. Army (Ret.)

Hi,
    Lovely old rifles, nice shooting and good grouping well done.
    Dave.