MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Rareity of a canadian issued model 1917 enfield?

Article about: So I've come across a model 1917 enfield chambered in .303 with the Canadian army stamp on the receiver. All I ever see of these rifles are chambered in 30-06 such as the Remington or eddyst

Default Rareity of a canadian issued model 1917 enfield?

So I've come across a model 1917 enfield chambered in .303 with the Canadian army stamp on the receiver. All I ever see of these rifles are chambered in 30-06 such as the Remington or eddystone. My question is, how rare are these model rifles in .303 vs. American 30-06?

Here is a post I found about them.
    Ross Enfield P14 stamp ERA
    It seems the P17 were the .30-06 rifles and the P14 was the .303 supplied to Canada and Britain.
    I don't see any production #s though.
    Got some;
    Eventually Winchester would manufacture 235,293 rifles, Remington 400,000 and Eddystone 600,000, totaling 1,235,293 rifles.

Around here, P14s are getting harder to find. I've seen DP rifles with price tags north of $500. I kick myself for selling mine when I was younger, it even had the volley sights on it. It shot really nice, so it would be worth it, if the barrel is still in decent shape.

I didn't even know these were given to Canadian troops. I always assumed they used the no.1 mkIII

The P14s didn't see much front line use. By the time they got to the UK in large enough quantities, the production of the SMLE was able to keep up with demand. They were mainly issued to rear echelon troops, and used for training. In mid 1917, Winchester manufactured rifles were used as sniper rifles.

It's possible this rifle was given to the Canadians when they were able to form their own Corps, or maybe it was marked sometime in WW2 when the P14 was issued for training and rear echelon troops once again.

I've seen a Canadian marked M1917 bayonet before, but so far no M1917s or P14s.

Germans seem to have had some;
    A second world war sniper and the home guard using them;
    Some soldiers from I believe Romania in the second world war;
    They seem to have been well used. The majority were kept for reserves I think but it appears as though some did find their way into combat.

?

So Cous! The question still remains. DID YOU BUY IT??????
    Even though Carpdiemm posted some awesome P14 info/pic's.

This thread is useless with out pic's of the rifle in question!!!!!

On a side note, I have a sporty ERA P14 that is a clover leaf pattern shooting dream.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Sorry I didn't see your reply. After a few days of thinking about it I did buy it but its in pretty bad shape. Barrel is pitted along with the front sights. Its a great collectors piece but will only be a wall hanger. Of course I paid a lot less than he was asking because of this. I will post pics for you guys soon.

Also bought a cool ishapore enfield converted to a single shot .410 I will be posting as well.

And another mosin 91/30 dated 1930 with hex receiver.. For $200 I couldn't pass it up.