MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Is this a real Izzy sniper?

Article about: The above is supposed to be an Izzy sniper. But I thought only Tula Snipers had the C or CH on the receiver. OK guys what's the verdict, real or fake? It doesn't appear to have the serial nu

?

Default Is this a real Izzy sniper?

The above is supposed to be an Izzy sniper. But I thought only Tula Snipers had the C or CH on the receiver. OK guys what's the verdict, real or fake? It doesn't appear to have the serial number above the wood line on the barrel and has a large C where they would be on a Tula sniper.

?

Default Re: Is this a real Izzy sniper?

Pictures? The C mark has not really been defined. It can be found on various Mosins. Tula marked their snipers with CN or CH - Izhevsk did not.

?

Quote by MarkV View Post
    Pictures? The C mark has not really been defined. It can be found on various Mosins. Tula marked their snipers with CN or CH - Izhevsk did not.
    Her's the photo of the C marking and the left side of the barrel on the rifle in question

?

The C is not thought to designate an Izhevsk sniper. That said, the rifle is an Izhevsk sniper based on the smoothness of the receiver and the lined out scope number on the left of the barrel where it joins the receiver.

The scope is an original Progress that was refurbed.

This screams restored ex-sniper to me. First, the lack of a new scope number stamped either above the old number or being stamped after polishing the old number out. Second, the mount appears to me to possibly be a repro. I would need pictures of the mount and rail to confirm, though.

The stock also looks to me as if it has been sanded and refinished - maybe just the pictures but it looks pristine and not like it's been sitting in a crate for decades.

Hopefully, others will chime in, too.

?

I was looking at the pics last night using my iPad. This morning I looked again with my PC. It seems to me that the C your refer to is actually the two concentric circles indicating an accuracy check - they many times were not fully struck and give the appearance of a C. Also, the little I can see of the rails makes me believe it is cast and not milled. Again, more pictures would help but it seems that this is a restored ex-sniper very similar to the two I have done for match shooting.

?

Here is 2 more photos that was posted. No close uo of the mount only a few showing the refurb marks on the stock.

?

I saw those pictures last evening when I checked out the link. As I noted, the scope is legit but I am doubtful on the mount and rail. I still believe this was probably an ex-sniper that was restored. Probably a nice rifle but probably not original. I have two restored ex-snipers that I use as match rifles - they are superb shooters. But, I wold never sell them without stating up front what they are.

?

Thanks MarkV, the fact that there were no close up pictures of the mount and rail bothered me which was why I posted the question. I missed the lined out number on the barrel. So I agree it was an ex Izzy sniper with a questionable mount.