Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remington Manufactured 'LEBEL' Bayonet

Article about: Per Jerry Janzen, in 1916 the French government ordered 200,000 1907/15 Mannlicher-Berthier rifles with bayonets from Remington. Only 100,000 of the rifles were delivered and the remainding

Default Remington Manufactured 'LEBEL' Bayonet

Per Jerry Janzen, in 1916 the French government ordered 200,000 1907/15 Mannlicher-Berthier rifles with bayonets from Remington. Only 100,000 of the rifles were delivered and the remainding quantities of the rifle and bayonet were purchased by the US Government and remained in store until April 10, 1959. The bayonets look like standard French made Model 1886/15 bayonets (made without hooked quillion) except for very slight grip contour variations. Only those bayonets received by the French were proofed and serial # to the gun.
    Enjoy this Rare unmarked Remington Manufactured 'LEBEL' bayonet.. Model 86/15...BILL
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Remington Manufactured 'LEBEL' Bayonet   Remington Manufactured 'LEBEL' Bayonet  

Remington Manufactured 'LEBEL' Bayonet   Remington Manufactured 'LEBEL' Bayonet  

"As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

?

Default Re: Remington Manufactured 'LEBEL' Bayonet

Very interesting Bill
    What happened to them in April 10, 1959?

Well I see what happened to one of them.

Did they use these on the US M1 Carbine or the US M1 Garand? The syle is remmeniscent of the circa 1700s style!!

Hi Trevor, no these old bayonets will not fit those US rifles & carbines.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by visor_cap_collector View Post
    Did they use these on the US M1 Carbine or the US M1 Garand? The syle is remmeniscent of the circa 1700s style!!
    Hello, This type of bayonet was not made for any US weapons, it will only fit the French 'LEBEL' Rifle....BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Quote by copdoc View Post
    Very interesting Bill
    What happened to them in April 10, 1959?

Well I see what happened to one of them.
    Some say they were destroyed others say they were sold on the open market...I don't know, all I know is that the Bayonet and Rifle both are considered rare in the collectors field...BILL

Johnnie
    ?

I was able to scarf up three of the French variations of this bayonet from bazaars in Afghanistan, but the Remington made is indeed a rare bird.
    Thanks for sharing Bill,

Johnnie

?

Quote by Bill Grist View Post
    Some say they were destroyed others say they were sold on the open market...I don't know, all I know is that the Bayonet and Rifle both are considered rare in the collectors field...BILL
    LOL somehow this reminded me of a Jimmy Buffet song. Oh well too much of the New Year cheer. Like a lot of things we may never know. All the Pedersen's, Colt Aircrewman and Japanese "Garands" were supposed to have been destroyed, but I have seen all of these also. Thankfully someone saved a few.

Happy New Year

If they didn't fit US rifles, Why did they use them???

Quote by visor_cap_collector View Post
    If they didn't fit US rifles, Why did they use them???
    They were sent to France in WW1 with Remington Made French Lebel Rifles.. They were never intended for the US military or US Military weapons...They were for the French Army....Which was loosing approx 40,000 Rifles and carbines per month in WW1...BILL

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast