Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Rennes 3 Artillery Shell

Article about: Stnads just over 12" tall, bottom reads RENNES (3) underneath 42 I 99 S Does anyone know anything about Rennes 3 artillery shells, im especially interested in time and military that use

Default Rennes 3 Artillery Shell

Stnads just over 12" tall, bottom reads

RENNES (3) underneath 42 I 99 S

Does anyone know anything about Rennes 3 artillery shells, im especially interested in time and military that used it! I think its 1942 from the bottom readings but cannot be sure.

I know Ive asked quite a few questions on Xmas day of all days but any help would be greatly appreciated
    Attached Images Attached Images Rennes 3 Artillery Shell 

Default Re: Rennes 3 Artillery Shell

Quote by mugshot View Post
    Stnads just over 12" tall, bottom reads

RENNES (3) underneath 42 I 99 S

Does anyone know anything about Rennes 3 artillery shells, im especially interested in time and military that used it! I think its 1942 from the bottom readings but cannot be sure.

I know Ive asked quite a few questions on Xmas day of all days but any help would be greatly appreciated
    MUG, Give Us a picture of the headstamp markings..BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Hi Bill,

I hope this pic is okay, I had to turn the flash off to catch the writing in the pic.

Hi Bill,

Did the below help any in finding the age of this shell? Or is there any other information I could supply to help?

Thanks for looking into this for me.

Guy

Oh BTW the story behind this arty shell is that when I was 14 and started collecting WW2 memorabilia I went into a local antique store and asked if they had anything, they said they had this artillery shell that had been made into a bell.

The shell was pitch black, covered in dirt, and the central screw thing (im not techy) was taken out and a hook screw had been put in to hold the bell inside.

I took it home, nicked my mums brasso and scrubbed it for a good hour to bring it up like nearly new. As it is now is 14 years of not being cleaned so I think Ill be nicking my wifes brasso to have a go at cleaning again.

Oh and when I bought it, it cost me £8.

Hi Guy, I would imagine it is French made, given that RENNES is a French town? Measure the size of where the shell would fit to give us an idea of the calibre in mm.

Cheers, Ade.