Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Rifle advice - what type to get

Article about: OK guys... My soon to be 14 year old son wants to go white tail hunting (probably at 16). He shoots 22 and 223. I want to gradually step him up to a north east hunting caliber (was thinking

The Mossberg maverick is a lot more affordable, but the stock is fixed. I saw prices on line for under 200

MAP
    ?

Jarret/Paul,

Thanks for the advice.

A lot to choose from....have to take a step back and decide rifle vs shotgun first. And then go from there.

Knew I would get some great ideas by posting this question.....only now the choices are more difficult
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hehehe get him a .338

Both are pretty easy to find at a reasonable price with patience. I would borrow them from a friend and go to the range and try them out and see what he likes. Ammo for both are also not expensive.
    Check the rules in the hunting lands you have available, some may be slug gun only. We have several areas in MN with that restriction. If not restricted to a slug gun I would always opt for the rifle.
    John

I started out on a 30/30 and my son killed his first deer with the same rifle and then we got him his .270. Michael what ever you get your son the memories will be priceless.
    I am looking forward to seeing pictures of the rifle you pick out.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

MAP
    ?

John,

My vacation property allows both rifle/shotgun. Don't have too many friends that hunt so borrowing on will be difficult.

Marty: next time I go up to the property I'll pull out the 30/30. And let him have a go at it. Will stick a pad on his shoulder. Memories will be great....as long as it is not cold and raining LoL

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

MAP I've been hunting up state New York my whole life. As a kid my dad bought me a 35 marlin lever action. And about two months before hunting season I traded it for a 30-06 semi. Got my first deer that year. Now I hunt western NY in a shot gun zone and I use a 12ga. I've gotten more deer with the 12 ga then the 06. The reason I wanted the 06 was it was what my dad hunted with,and as a kid I always thought my dad was the greatest hunter in the world . It won't matter what gun you get him it will be more important that you are hunting with him . Gary

MAP
    ?

Thanks Gary.

I didn't see this gun as necessarily being his hunting rifle. Just the next step up on the way to a hunting caliber. But with all the good suggestions I might step him right up. I was shooting 30-06 at 14 years old and 90 lbs. I just stuffed a rolled up towel in my shirt LoL.

MAP
    ?

Well. My son decided to bite the bullet and give the 30-30 a try on Memorial day. I'm sure it will feel like a 45-70 to him but I give him credit for trying it out!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2