Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Rifles FOUND IN GARBAGE!

Article about: Unbelievable that they are just throwing these things away ! Surely the guys relatives must know they have a re-sale value ??? Just doesn't make any sense....... Still....your gain !

Default Re: Rifles FOUND IN GARBAGE!

Alrighty folks,

Here are some better shots of the cleaning job I did on the Type38. Hopefully I did okay... it certainly was a learning experience! I would really appreciate constructive criticism. Also, if anyone sees areas I need to spend some more time cleaning, let me know!!

Off hand, I know that I need to give the safety knob on the bolt, the rear sight, and trigger some more attention...

Rifles FOUND IN GARBAGE!Rifles FOUND IN GARBAGE!Rifles FOUND IN GARBAGE!Rifles FOUND IN GARBAGE!Rifles FOUND IN GARBAGE!Rifles FOUND IN GARBAGE!Rifles FOUND IN GARBAGE!Rifles FOUND IN GARBAGE!Rifles FOUND IN GARBAGE!Rifles FOUND IN GARBAGE!Rifles FOUND IN GARBAGE!Rifles FOUND IN GARBAGE!Rifles FOUND IN GARBAGE!Rifles FOUND IN GARBAGE!Rifles FOUND IN GARBAGE!Rifles FOUND IN GARBAGE!Rifles FOUND IN GARBAGE!Rifles FOUND IN GARBAGE!Rifles FOUND IN GARBAGE!

Here is some of the more major battle damage on my rifle. Maybe the damage was caused by the same means that brought the Japanese soldier's life to an end?

Rifles FOUND IN GARBAGE!Rifles FOUND IN GARBAGE!

May not be battle damage, just rough handling after capture-enemy weapons were usually just heaped together with rifles thrown on to a pile (as seen in film/pictures of the time)-US forces in particular weren't concerned about reusing them except as individual souvenirs.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    May not be battle damage, just rough handling after capture-enemy weapons were usually just heaped together with rifles thrown on to a pile (as seen in film/pictures of the time)-US forces in particular weren't concerned about reusing them except as individual souvenirs.
    Thanks for the response, Lithgow! As always, I appreciate your insight and opinion!

I know... I was just being optimistic... or maybe pessimistic would be the correct word to use?

To me, it seems like the the huge crater on the side of the stock, and dent that crosses from the stock to the metal tang would require a lot more force than your average rough handling. But hey, you never know!!

I know this is all speculation, but it blows my mind that this rifle was more than likely fired in anger at American troops, and that it certainly was not surrendered willingly (hence the intact 'mum). It's a definite possibility that it was picked up off the body of a Japanese soldier... maybe by the U.S. marine who took him down!

Any additional comments about my restoration job would be appreciated! This was a first time thing for me... and since I rarely take on do-it-yourself projects... I'm rather proud of what I accomplished!

Does anyone think I should give the stock some more attention to get rid of some of that dark grime?
    Last edited by GIZMO8Z; 03-30-2012 at 01:40 PM.

I think it looks great. I personally wouldn't do much more. The rifle has some great pantena which gives it more appeal. The method you used is the same as I have done for years. 000 steel wool and oil, lot's of oil. You can clean up some of the stock in the same way but make sure you do it lightly and get all of the oil off or it could make your stock swell. Don't try to change the color just clean off the grime. IMO I would leave it just as it is.

Burt

Quote by milmuseum View Post
    I think it looks great. I personally wouldn't do much more. The rifle has some great pantena which gives it more appeal. The method you used is the same as I have done for years. 000 steel wool and oil, lot's of oil. You can clean up some of the stock in the same way but make sure you do it lightly and get all of the oil off or it could make your stock swell. Don't try to change the color just clean off the grime. IMO I would leave it just as it is.

Burt
    Thanks, Burt! I really didn't plan on doing too too much, that's why I stopped where I did. The rust on the safety knob is pretty serious, so that's probably the only thing I will end up doing.

Thank you SO much for all your help. I know it sounds stupid, buy the missing cleaning rod is driving me nuts!

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks for the response, Ned! I have had my eye on that. However, as the rifle is 100% authentic, matching numbers, intact 'mum, etc. a little piece of me would die inside if I stuck a repro rod on this rifle.

I'm holding out for an authentic rod... but if all else fails, I will get one from the link you provided!

I have an authentic cleaning rod coming my way for $45 shipped! What I deal! I am thrilled!

This morning I took care of some pretty heavy red rust on the knurled bolt safety knob. That has now been neutralized. I also gave the entire rifle another close inspection for rust on hidden spots and little nooks and crannies. I'm confident that I've gotten all of it off now!

I also read an excellent tutorial on attaching my sling. I had it backwards and upside down! Attaching a leather sling without proper instructions can be maddening... IT'S A DAMN PUZZLE!

Rifles FOUND IN GARBAGE!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7