Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Rk k98

Article about: I have been offered this, and initially was told it was all German. From research here I assume it is a Russian capture, possible Romanian as the swastikas are intact, and sold through a Ten

?

Default Rk k98

I have been offered this, and initially was told it was all German. From research here I assume it is a Russian capture, possible Romanian as the swastikas are intact, and sold through a Tennessee gun business. The condition looks reasonable and the bore is clean. The seller was asking $500, which I think is a little high, but he is open to offers. Any thoughts or opinions welcome.Rk k98Rk k98Rk k98Rk k98Rk k98Rk k98Rk k98Rk k98Rk k98Rk k98Rk k98Rk k98Rk k98Rk k98Rk k98Rk k98Rk k98Rk k98

?

The bolt and stock bear the # 6171 which in my opinion is a trait I have seen on my Russian / Yugo SKS rifles.
    Sometimes they stamped over the original numbers and were re-placed in this fashion... For my money I would purchase this item... Just my two cents... G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

?

Thanks. I wasn't sure whether to try for $400 or $450 - any thoughts? I see they are getting scarcer these days and are quickly snapped up under $500.

I do not care for the engraving pencil number on the bolt, but what can you do, hey? I'd offer $450 and if it is accepted fine-if not, no huge loss.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Looks like every Russian capture German K98 I've seen, and this one still has the eagle/swastika proof marks which is nice. On many of these RC Mausers these swastika proof marks are stamped out. Is there a clear 1st number before the '27' on receiver? Is so, that in combination with 1940 can tell you the rifles manufacturer.

The code of 27 was used by Erfurter Machinenfabrik {Erma} in 1940. Weller is correct as I can't tell if there is another no. in front. Looks pretty decent for a R/C or Romanian capture. I can see it has a stamped mag. floorplate instead of a forged one. Parts may not all match but I would pay $450-$500 as they are getting tougher to find. Sold a BYF 44 mix-matcher for $450 2 years back which was not as nice as the one you are considering. Good luck.

?

Well waiting paid off - the seller needed the $$'s and said I could have it for $375 ($25 more than his local gun shop offered). Many thanks guys. I now have to see how difficult it is to import a firearm from Germany, as I have just
    been offered a fully functioning one.

Typical C.A.I. import Russian capture mixmaster (Romanian capture don't have electro penciled bolts, but ground and renumbered at the root of the bolt), force matched bolt, fairly unusual still having it's eagles and swastikas intact, I'd say an older import, discreet import stamp, looks pretty nice really for what it is. All you need now is a sling, cleaning rod, and sight hood? ;-)

PS DON'T put repro junk on it, hold out for the right stuff, it's out there and half the fun is looking for it.

PPS And a matching date bayonet, scabbard and frog.

?

Bayo, scabbard and frog already waiting and I will get searching for the other parts.

If it's a 1940 receiver then the sight doesn't take the hood-wouldn't have had a cupped butt plate on the stock either but all sorts of recycled parts were used-my 1940 byf has the stamped nosecap of a late war example fitted to it-they are mixed part rifles but it is a legitimate part of the history of them as military weapons.