Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Russian Maxim M1910

Article about: I am putting the finishing touches to this package. The belt loader and armor plate (IMA repro, sorry) are inbound. I decided it was time to buy one, looking at the prices and the way they'v

Default Russian Maxim M1910

I am putting the finishing touches to this package.
    The belt loader and armor plate (IMA repro, sorry) are inbound.

I decided it was time to buy one, looking at the prices and the way they've been going up in price - I don't think I could afford one in five years. There was an influx of parts kits a few years ago - that stock definitely seems to have dried up.
    Spares for this started out easy to find and over the months it took to assemble this, the prices and quantities changed.

This has almost 100% brass Sokolov mount, not dated unfortunately.
    The fusee cover is steel not brass on the gun.
    It is a Midwest Meta Creations semi automatic.

Russian Maxim M1910

Nice to see one without the snow cap. Is it a Finnish capture?

In the process of finding that out more - the last owner didn't know whether it was a Finnish capture or not.
    I have the Devil's Paintbrush book - which is a phenomenal resource for Maxim information, but not a great emphasis on WW2 criteria.
    No SA markings on the gun parts.
    Some of the cans are captures, as you can see.
    My Russian experience is really minimal.
    Would love to hear thoughts from the experts here.

Russian Maxim M1910Russian Maxim M1910Russian Maxim M1910Russian Maxim M1910Russian Maxim M1910Russian Maxim M1910Russian Maxim M1910Russian Maxim M1910Russian Maxim M1910

I do want to assemble a WW2 era infantryman outfit to display with this.
    Have Ppsh41 already in collection - so thoughts on a good place to start uniform-wise would be really appreciated.

M3hobby -
    Ha that's the joke in the first post pic - the little stainless filler funnel, lol - (not WW2 era but essential!)

Hi Pit, looks great.

Uniform wise do you want original or very good repro?

The Red Army wore two patterns of uniform during the war. The Obr 1935 pattern with shirt style collar was worn until mid 1943 by most troops. After that the Obr 43 pattern uniform was worn with high stand neck collar and shoulder boards.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

As it is lacking the shield spring and not in the colour of the Ukrainian imports is very little to be ex-Finnish.

Is the top cover scrubbed of any markings?

?

Sweet!! I'm drooling.

?

That is an excellent setup you got there. Thanks for sharing the pic's of it.
    That must be a blast to shoot. (Yes pun intended)
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Yes,the top- cover is covered in markings, and unseen by me until ten minutes ago a faint SA in a square.
    I will photograph and post pics, if anyone is interested.

Thank you, Adrian - I will look out for the uniform, what I have with the other nations is an original jacket shirt and cap, with leather or canvas belt gear if applicable - so your info is helpful.
    With regard to the uniform matching the period that this MG might have been used - were the Maxim's used mainly early war, or throughout?

I found this site which has been helpful (until I find a few more good books for the library) - FINNISH ARMY 1918 - 1945: MACHINEGUNS PART 1

Here is the Finnish belt loading machine -
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Russian Maxim M1910   Russian Maxim M1910  

Last edited by pitfighter; 12-01-2013 at 01:40 AM.

Hi Pit, I will look forwards to the pics of the top cover. These markings are sometimes a bit faint.

Maxims were used thoughout the war, so you have a choice of uniform.

However, original kit is not cheap. Soviet kit is harder to find than one would imagine. Obr 43 uniform would be the cheapest option. Then there is the option of winter or summer kit.

Try here, one of our sponsors:

Original WW2 German militaria, WW2 Red Army militaria, WW2 Soviet militaria and more...

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast