Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Russian Service Numbers.

Article about: Hi, I have a Russian SKS with the number "BU3597" scratched into the barrel. I was trying to trace this rifle, to maybe learn more about its particular history. And thought that th

Default Russian Service Numbers.

Hi,

I have a Russian SKS with the number "BU3597" scratched into the barrel. I was trying to trace this rifle, to maybe learn more about its particular history. And thought that this might be a service number of some sort.

My research hasn't gotten me very far, I haven't even been able to find out how the service numbers were assigned, or if this even is a service number. Anyway, I was hoping someone here might be able to help me.

Thanks.

Sounds more like a rifle serial number-most armies don't allow soldiers to 'personalise' their issue weapons like that and harsh discipline was a hallmark of the Soviet forces.

It does have serial numbers on it. But the number I'm talking about was roughly scratched into it. It's jagged and definitely not professional or done in a factory.

Sounds like electro pencil markings that were done when a rifle was factory refurbished!...

I considered it, but it's far too squiggly. It looks as if it was done with a knife or something similar. Anyone refurbishing it wouldn't have done such a bad job of it.

Any chance of a photo please?...

yup, pictures would help. Are you in the states? Is there an importers stamp on the rifle? IS the number on any other parts?

Russian Service Numbers.Russian Service Numbers.Russian Service Numbers.Russian Service Numbers.

I went back over the gun, and the same number is also engraved into the stock, I think. It's BN instead of BU. And no matter how much I stare at the number on the barrel I cannot turn that U into an N. That was a really crappy engraving job. Terrible! The number on the stock is almost very well done, except for the alignment. I have no idea why I didn't notice they were the same number the first time. The serial numbers on the rest of the gun, are different, can it have two different serial numbers? Did I buy a knockoff?

I am in the states, but I can't find an importers mark anywhere, though I don't really know what I'm looking for either. This is is one of the first guns I bought primarily for it's historical value.

Also, I had my dad (he's much smarter than me) look it over and he said the number on the barrel was probably done with a cheap electric engraver. (He uses them at his job on a regular basis.) So Gunny Hartman was correct there. Sorry. (I still find it hard to believe anyone would mar a gun like this!)

Any Idea why there are X's on the stock?

Again, sorry for the misinformation.

Quote by AmeliaJordan View Post
    Russian Service Numbers.Russian Service Numbers.Russian Service Numbers.Russian Service Numbers.

I went back over the gun, and the same number is also engraved into the stock, I think. It's BN instead of BU. And no matter how much I stare at the number on the barrel I cannot turn that U into an N. That was a really crappy engraving job. Terrible! The number on the stock is almost very well done, except for the alignment. I have no idea why I didn't notice they were the same number the first time. The serial numbers on the rest of the gun, are different, can it have two different serial numbers? Did I buy a knockoff?

I am in the states, but I can't find an importers mark anywhere, though I don't really know what I'm looking for either. This is is one of the first guns I bought primarily for it's historical value.

Also, I had my dad (he's much smarter than me) look it over and he said the number on the barrel was probably done with a cheap electric engraver. (He uses them at his job on a regular basis.) So Gunny Hartman was correct there. Sorry. (I still find it hard to believe anyone would mar a gun like this!)

Any Idea why there are X's on the stock?

Again, sorry for the misinformation.
    Russian SKS45 ID/FAQ collectibles
    Please scroll down to section 7 and all will be explained!...
    As for the backwards "N" and U you can see here when hand written the N looks like a U!..
    Russian alphabet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The old stock serial numbers have been crossed out and a new serial number branded into the wood-the rifle has been re arsenaled/refurbished-this was a common practice with Soviet weapons before being put into long term storage-remember that the SKS rifle was pretty rapidly replaced by the AK types after about 8-10 years as the standard Soviet rifle-they never scrapped anything, just stored it away for emergency use or supply to client states.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast