Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sales Tax Holliday for Guns and Ammo

Article about: Now this is the way to do it...BILL Sales tax holiday for gun purchases coming to South Carolina By Rick Spruill (Contact) Sunday, November 16, 2008 Beginning the day after Thanksgiving, Sou

Default Sales Tax Holliday for Guns and Ammo

Now this is the way to do it...BILL

Sales tax holiday for gun purchases coming to South Carolina
    By Rick Spruill (Contact)
    Sunday, November 16, 2008

Beginning the day after Thanksgiving, South Carolina residents will have a 48-hour period when they can purchase guns, shotguns, and rifles tax-free.

The first annual Second Amendment Sales Tax Holiday in the state is set to begin at 12:01 a.m. on Nov. 28 and continue through 11:59 p.m. Nov. 29.

The sales tax holiday, approved by the South Carolina General Assembly in June, will permit the purchase of fixed-cartridge handguns, shotguns, and rifles without state and local sales and use taxes.

According to the South Carolina Department of Revenue, only purchases of fixed-cartridge handguns, shotguns and rifle will be tax-free.

Sales of items such as ammunition, black powder, holsters, archery supplies, antique guns and collectible guns will continue to be taxed.

The tax break represents a boon for gun enthusiasts as well as gun sellers and pawn shops, coming as it does during what are traditionally two of the two busiest shopping days of the year.

But the holiday, initially vetoed by Gov. Mark Sanford, has been met with criticism by some groups that support gun control.

Skip Gilmer, owner of Ammo Plus on Pleasantburg Road in Anderson, is looking forward to what the tax holiday will mean for his business.

“Obviously, the tax-free weekend will be an incentive for buyers, and we are looking forward to seeing a bit more foot traffic over the weekend of Nov. 28 and 29,” Gilmer said.

Gun Owners of America, an advocacy group for Second Amendment rights, said the sale of tax-free guns is in no way a departure from the idea behind responsible gun ownership.

“To suggest that selling guns tax free for a day or two is irresponsible shows a low regard for the right every American has to self-defense,” said Larry Pratt, executive director of Gun Owners of America.

But Scott Vogel, spokesman for Freedom States Alliance, a national advocacy group against gun violence, said the tax-free sale of guns comes at a time when purchasing a gun should not be made easier.

“The tax-free gun weekend is little more than a gimmick to get people to buy more guns at a time when we should be making it harder, not easier, to buy them,” Vogel said in a telephone interview Friday. “We wouldn’t support a tax-free weekend on tobacco. Why would we support a tax-free weekend on guns?”
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Default Re: Sales Tax Holliday for Guns and Ammo

I read about that Bill. It's a great idea. I hope more people get out and do their 'civic duty' and help out the firearms ind. and local dealers. My wife likes to save money,so when I brought that up to her she sorta just gave me a blank stare. Then said, you have too many guns now. I keep telling her 'this' is my last gun.Works all the time. I don't have anything in mind to pick up right now anyway. I wish they'd do this tax deal more often. And what is too many guns anyhow? Ron
    (ya get to Charlotte?)

Quote by packin9 View Post
    I read about that Bill. It's a great idea. I hope more people get out and do their 'civic duty' and help out the firearms ind. and local dealers. My wife likes to save money,so when I brought that up to her she sorta just gave me a blank stare. Then said, you have too many guns now. I keep telling her 'this' is my last gun.Works all the time. I don't have anything in mind to pick up right now anyway. I wish they'd do this tax deal more often. And what is too many guns anyhow? Ron
    (ya get to Charlotte?)
    I sneak my new stuff in at midnight and no one knows a thingYou can never have too many guns or too much horsepower........but a wise man once said "beware of the man with one gun"

?

To much green stuff and liberals around in europa to do such a thing
    Maybe in no so a short time you will need home defence when the crisis
    made in US will become more serious ...

Quote by Ostmark View Post
    Maybe in no so a short time you will need home defence when the crisis
    made in US will become more serious ...
    ? I'm not sure I understand.

?

Read the business news i think there is the answer ...

?

[QUOTE=Bill Grist;22427]Now this is the way to do it...BILL

According to the South Carolina Department of Revenue, only purchases of fixed-cartridge handguns, shotguns and rifle will be tax-free.

Sales of items such as ammunition, black powder, holsters, archery supplies, antique guns and collectible guns will continue to be taxed.

TheQUOTE]

Rats, still taxing ammo. I was up for a road trip.

SC is a great state.

It figures something like this comes around when I'm short on funds.

Ostmark, I still don;t understand. Perhaps I'm just thick. Can ya make it easier for me?

I know what Ostmark is trying to say, he means that if the financial crisis gets much worse their is a good chance of civil unrest in some parts of the US and owning a gun for self defence might be a good idea.

Quote by roughshooter View Post
    I know what Ostmark is trying to say, he means that if the financial crisis gets much worse their is a good chance of civil unrest in some parts of the US and owning a gun for self defence might be a good idea.
    Thanks roughshooter. I guess I had a 'metal block'. I see it now. And there is civil unrest here already. Been so for several decades. It doesn't look to improve either.Also,welcome to the forum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast