Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Savage No4 Mk1*

Article about: Hello gents, This is my Savage No4 Mk1*. These are pretty much the only markings on it apart from the odd square S here and there and the size of the butt stamped underneath in the woodwork.

Hello Lithgow,

Thanks for adding some dates and detail makes getting a rough date a bit easier. Cheers.

Michael, make sure you look before you cross the road and miss that bus!!

MAP
    ?

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    My info suggests as you believe that it's a 1943 built gun. The square S is in fact the logo for Stevens and really they should be called Sevens-Savage rifles rather than Savage rifles.
    Quote by centigas View Post
    Hi m3bobby thanks very much for your reply.

Its nice to have another opinion on the date, so am happy with that. Thanks for pointing out also that the name is Stevens Savage not just Savage. Good stuff.

Thanks again
    Hello Lithgow,

Thanks for adding some dates and detail makes getting a rough date a bit easier. Cheers.

Michael, make sure you look before you cross the road and miss that bus!!
    Or make sure the wife doesn't push me..........
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

centigas-if you're interested in the broad sweep of the Lee Enfield, may I suggest Ian Skennerton's 'The Lee Enfield'-the bible on the subject.

Hi Lithgow,

Ill look out for that, I really like Lee Enfields. I have another which is a 1918 SMLE that was bored out to a 410 shotgun (you could get 5 in the magazine!) that I used to go pigeon shooting with as a kid. Unfortunately with the change in the gun laws all those years ago it had to be de-activated, but I still love it. My Father also had a couple of live Lee Enfields and used to enjoy target shooting with them. Fantastic guns.

Cheers. Rich.

I currently have 9 myself of varying models and ages-some have been posted here prev. It's still possible to have them live here in Australia (hand guns too).

Quote by lithgow View Post
    I currently have 9 myself of varying models and ages-some have been posted here prev. It's still possible to have them live here in Australia (hand guns too).
    I hope you can keep and use them for a long time to come. Its a real pain getting and keeping a firearm in the U.K. They don't like the peasants armed over here!!

Its a real pain getting and keeping a firearm in the U.K. They don't like the peasants armed over here!!
    Simply not true, as long as you can give good reason for owning a firearm you can have anything up to and including .50 BMG.

Nice No.4 by the way!

Quote by Richard_J View Post
    Simply not true, as long as you can give good reason for owning a firearm you can have anything up to and including .50 BMG.

Nice No.4 by the way!
    Hello Richard,

Well ok maybe I overdid it a little bit, but your not allowed handguns anymore (except muzzle loaders) no automatics and can only have 3 in the magazine for a shotgun.I am sure I heard recently they are thinking of putting all airguns on a firearms ticket too, but maybe thats just gossip, dont know for sure. It just seems to be harder now for no good reason.

Wobble over-glad you like the no4 thanks for that, and just out of interest, do you happen to own a .50 ??!!!

By the way my names Rich too. Cheers

This is ware it becomes a little stupid because you can still have Semi auto handguns (one of our forum members posted his 1970s Browning Hi-Power on here a few months back) if you can convince the Chief Constable that's it falls into Section 7. It has to be kept on a specially licenced property however I believe if its on a collector licence and is not to be fired it can be kept at home.

Hello m3bobby,

Is section 7 historic handguns? Was it a rare or unique Browning? I will have a look through the threads in a bit to find it. I believe you can have a collector licence which means you cant buy ammunition, or as you say fire it. Happy to be corrected there though.
    My father who I mentioned earlier had a lovely collection of military handguns, A couple of lugers, a P38, two Enfields and a Webley .45. as well as a couple of modern guns. They all went to the crusher. (or Europe depending on who you believe.)

Better hope to find a Chief constable who likes handguns!

Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast