MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Saved one from Bubba

Article about: Had an interesting weekend to say the least. Found a local gun shop I had no idea existed and supposedly has been in the area for almost 5 years. They had all the typical AR15s and new hunti

Default Saved one from Bubba

Had an interesting weekend to say the least. Found a local gun shop I had no idea existed and supposedly has been in the area for almost 5 years. They had all the typical AR15s and new hunting rifles that you would expect. They had very few surplus rifles but they were an interesting bunch. Of course they were very busy, and a group of early twenties guys were huddled around the surplus rifles. A couple of mosin nagants, a single Enfield No4 MK1, 2-3 Czech mausers and 4-5 Turkish mausers. Nothing I'm really looking for, or so I thought. The clerk pulls one of the mausers out and I immediately see the Lange Vizier. I stopped and looked on. The group of younger guys were arguing which would make a better deer rifle. As soon as the clerk put the GEW 98 back on the rack I asked another clerk to see it. Turns out it went to Turkey (no real surprise), but what is odd to me is the only Turkish markings are on the bolt sleeve, and some numbers just behind the rear sight. Not a single crescent moon in sight. None of the serial numbers match, but they are all imperial German marked. The bore is very clean and it has very strong rifling. Well I talked with the owner, worked out a deal, and saved this 1912 Spandau GEW 98 from becoming another Bubba special.

Still some flame bluing left under the front band (picture doesn't do it justice).

The marking on the barrel, and the maker mark.

It was put into a beech stock. Unfortunately this is the only stock cartouche to be legible.

Hope you guys like it as much as I do.

Nice old Mauser, definitely "in the white" ;-) I really can't see anybody buying something like this to make a hunting rifle out of it, way too much work and it would cost you twice as much as the gun did. You'd need a different bolt body to clear a scope, (it probably wouldn't headspace right), then drill and tap, a scope mount for this isn't that easy to find anymore, a sporter stock and it has zero resale value, in fact you're liable to get flak for it from the only people that are into rifles like this. Back when I use to see a gob of sporterized Mausers at the local gun store, they were usually vet bringbacks, or the stuff they sold out of the back of magazines after the war, pretty much all WWII 98k, most of the time in 30-06. Most of the foreign contract Mausers I've seen over the years are still bone stock.

This one have an import stamp under the barrel?

Speaking of Bubba... have you seen an old Marlin 30-30 in a folding stock with scope rail and "tactical" scope? ;-)

That's a great find!....

I was surprised to hear these guys arguing which was a better one to bubba for a deer rifle. One guy said the GEW was the better of the mausers, and another one said the Turkish mauser was better because it had a heavier barrel. He even went as far as saying he could load a really hot round and the barrel would hold up better. My thought is the barrel might hold, but too hot and the receiver or bolt will let go. The clerk behind the counter was selling them on the Turkish mauser, a scope mount and a synthetic stock. I got my hands on the GEW and didn't let go. I don't know if they bought one or not, but they were really going back and forth on it.

The barrel is not import marked, but the receiver is. Just under the proof marks on the right side it has 8mm Turkey. Then on the back of the right side of the receiver below the stripper clip guide it has ***** NJ. I can't make out the town name of the importer. I think this one may have been brought in either by Navy Arms or SARCO back in the late 80's or early 90's.

That's exactly what I thought, older import. I'm glad you got it ;-) There are still some crazies out there (I saw a guy do this local with a Mosin, but then again who cares about a Mosin ;-))) Just kidding! who will totally bastardize an old milsurp rifle for something to do, find a way to screw down a rail on it, some junky scope.

It's always tricky at shops when you spot something a guy is looking at or has something in his hand, my MO is totally steer clear, cause if they think you're interested then they'll buy it. Just stealthily watch from a distance and wait for em to put it down, the second they do, swoop in a grab it ;-)

Devin, That is a great find...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

?

I'm glad you saved her from the Bubba work bench. She deserves to spend her life to be admired in her original configuration
    That will look awesome with the appropriate bayonet!!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    I'm glad you saved her from the Bubba work bench. She deserves to spend her life to be admired in her original configuration
    That will look awesome with the appropriate bayonet!!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Well a couple of weeks ago I stumbled across a Carl Eikhorn 98/05 bayonet. So now I have an appropriate blade.

Next a sling

Great looking rifle.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.