Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Scheintodpistole

Article about: Hi. I wanted to show you a odd gun I bought a while ago. Its a gun that fires teargas or noxious material to stun an assailant. I have not found much when searching for "BUA No 99"

Default Scheintodpistole

Hi.

I wanted to show you a odd gun I bought a while ago.
    Its a gun that fires teargas or noxious material to stun an assailant.
    I have not found much when searching for "BUA No 99".
    The round in the picture is made by Sellier&Bellot.
    I would love to hear if you seen anything like it and maybe knows its age.

Best regards
    Laplander
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Scheintodpistole   Scheintodpistole  

Default Re: Scheintodpistole

Weird but cool

?

Very interesting. I have an interest in them but the only one considered a "Scheintot" I have is the US Van Karner (3 bbl 60 caliber) Most were single shot but there were quite a few 3 barrel guns. They were common in Europe in the early 1900s until after WWII. Sometime in the 1960s the 22RF blank/tear gas pistols became common. They were also referred to as "Radfahrerpistole" (bicyclist's pistols) or "Hundeschreck" pistols (dog startle pistol) according to a friend from a German forum. I guess the 22RFs are still a type of "Scheintot".

There is an article on them in "Gun Collector's Digest" 5th Edition in English. There is a little information on them in Swearingen's book on tear gas weapons. I'll look and see if I see one like yours and get more information if you are interested.

The Van Karner was the largest of the Scheitots. Van Karner made military flare pistols. There is very little information on them but speculation is that he made about 300 (I had thought, 600 but this was wrong) or so to give away as advertisements to generals, admirals and such to promote the flare pistols.

Uncle Bill has a German Schentot with the cartridges and I am sure he will put up a pic when he reads this.

Thanks for the pic.

Here is the Van Karner

http://666kb.com/i/al2qlmakavst21f2w.jpg

Hi
    I have a pistol using the same cartridge as above but l don`t know what it is.I am located in Sweden too.Must have a mail adress where l can send the images???
    All the best
    Peter
    Tel.076-1416697

Nice pistol...........and they are very interesting, one of the first nonlethal pistols...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Smile Re: Scheintodpistole

Thanks Bill

It seems to be in as new condition,never fired.The cartridges have an ordinary primer and there is a firing pin that strikes the primer when pulling the triggerguard.I am going to take it apart today and take some more pictures.

All the best

Peter