MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Seeking Information on a WWII Japanese Rifle

Article about: Thank you. The symbols indicate it is a series 1. Any idea of it's value. The wood is fair and the metal is very good. It has the dust shield and barrel end cover. No bayonet. I very much ap

Question Seeking Information on a WWII Japanese Rifle

Hi all,

I am posting these pictures for a friend that I work with. His Father was a WWII veteran and brought this rifle back with a blood stained personal prayer flag and some other various items. The rifle is 100% matching number example as brought back after the war -although there is no bayonet or shoulder sling.

I really know nothing about these other than the fact that a rifle with an intact chrysanthemum is a cut above other examples where it has been ground off.

I would very much appreciate any input on basic information such as year of production, maker, type etc. An idea of an insurance value would be nice to know as well, although the rifle is not for sale. If any other photos are needed of any specific areas to help in the assessment, please let me know and I will get the owner to snap some shots of the areas.

Thanks all in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Seeking Information on a WWII Japanese Rifle   Seeking Information on a WWII Japanese Rifle  

[B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: Seeking Information on a WWII Japanese Rifle

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Seeking Information on a WWII Japanese Rifle   Seeking Information on a WWII Japanese Rifle  

[B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Seeking Information on a WWII Japanese Rifle  

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Sweet! It still has the Mum. The Rifle looks good. Not my field, but a truly nice item!

?

It is a type 99 series 31 made by Toyo Kogyo, I have no idea of the value but it sure looks nice.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by zwerge View Post
    It is a type 99 series 31 made by Toyo Kogyo, I have no idea of the value but it sure looks nice.
    Thanks for the info. Does the series number have anything to do with date of production? Also, is the hole on top of the receiver for a scope mount or does it serve some other purpose? Thanks again.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

The hole in the top of the receiver is for gas escape in event of a blown case.That rifle is a 7.7x58 mm.The other Japanese rifle used in WW2 was 6.5x50R mm and had two holes in the receiver top.Different arsenals had different series numbers assigned to them.This rifle has many of the early features on it like monopod and sight wings,these were dropped on the later war models,it was made SOMEWHERE around 1939 to 1942....HTH.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by zwerge View Post
    The hole in the top of the receiver is for gas escape in event of a blown case.That rifle is a 7.7x58 mm.The other Japanese rifle used in WW2 was 6.5x50R mm and had two holes in the receiver top.Different arsenals had different series numbers assigned to them.This rifle has many of the early features on it like monopod and sight wings,these were dropped on the later war models,it was made SOMEWHERE around 1939 to 1942....HTH.
    Thanks very much for the further information - much appreciated.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast