Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

shooting the PIAT

Article about: Hi Phoenix I to have the photo of the 7th KOSB as my father now 88 years old and still going strong was in the anti-tanks i wonder are there any more photo's knocking about of that era , i k

?

Default shooting the PIAT

I had forgotten about this. Here is a video from the History Channel of an IMI instructor and a PIAT. If any of you guys have shot one you might find this interesting. He did not try it this way with a live bomb. I realize from this that I have been holding it wrong. No wonder I am not able to get sub MOA groups at 100 yards. I thought it was the non match grade tail fins.

YouTube - PIAT british antitank weapon in WW2

Default Re: shooting the PIAT

I have to say, that video is total CR*P.I own a PIAT and my grandfather used one in action at Arnhem.If you tried to fire it kike that it would have ripped your arm out of it's socket.It had a kick like a mule and usually they tried to rest it against sandbags or other fairly solid objects.If it was not held firmly it wopuld not re-cock automatically to fire the next round.My grandfather told me it made a hole about the size of your thumb!

Indeed, the video is completely wrong.

Hi Phoenix, which unit was your Grandad with? Arnhem is a big interest of mine.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade,
    he was in 7th Battalion Kings Own Scottish Borderers, support company, so he fired quite a variety of weapons.He landed by glider ,with a jeep and 6pdr anti tank gun and spent all his time at osterbeek, protecting the landing ground.He was wounded and ended up a prisioner of war.He did parachute training at Ringway and got his wings for the extra money! BBC - WW2 People's War - Long Haul Home: POW's in Germany 1945 This is an article he wrote originally for the local paper. he doesn't mention Goerring in it.
    Peter

Hi Peter, I might even have a picture of him on my living room wall. I have the panoramic unit photo of "S" Coy KOSB. Here are a couple of pics.

Off now to read his article. Thanks!

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture shooting the PIAT   shooting the PIAT  

Hi Ade,
    I'll try and blow up the picture.If you have Robert Sigmunds book Off At Last, he does appear in it and I know he had quite lenghty correspondance with him.I don't know if he will be in the picture, because after his return home, he was sent to a rehabilitation centre as he had lost so much weight.I'm sure I spoke to you at Detling this last year, about the anti tank riflle,Peter.

Hi Peter, I do have the book, so I will check it out.

I did indeed speak to a few people about the anti tank rifle. Thanks for reminding me.

Cheers, Ade.

?

So you guys would not shoot a live bomb with that stance???????? I knew someone who had fired one of the beasts would respond. The PIAT has some drawbacks but also had a lot going for it in WWII.

Phoenix, nice pics. I own one also. It is a pretty small club. Do you ever shoot it? Dad was a American glider rider/ paratrooper and had some Brit troopers assigned to his unit.

Hi,
    No I can't shoot it as it has to be deactivated, do you fire a proper round or the reloadable practice round, used with the seperate tray? What unit was your father in?
    Peter.

?

Quote by phoenix View Post
    Hi,
    No I can't shoot it as it has to be deactivated, do you fire a proper round or the reloadable practice round, used with the seperate tray? What unit was your father in?
    Peter.
    Hi Peter

Too bad it had to be deat. In the US it is classified the same as a rifle or shotgun. Explosive ammo is, of course banned unless registered. I have not shot mine yet but got some drawings of the full sized training rounds that I plan on replicating. I will start with the same type and weight of powder used in the US 30-06 grenade ctg. I don't have the sub calibre tray.

Dad was in both the 13th and 82nd Airborne Units, glider antitank to begin with. He was pulled to be liaison to the Communist fraction of the Free French that was headed by a woman named Michell. He said he had both Brit and Polish Paratroopers in that liaison unit. He remembered the Brits as coming from the 6th AB. The Americans came form the other AB units. I'll look for some pics. I only have one pic of him overseas.

Dad had never seen a PIAT until I showed him mine. He liked the idea of the 3 lb bomb. The biggest problem with the PIAT from what I have read was range, accuracy and the fact the tail would come back at you. Still it shot a 3 lb shaped charge in a hand help weapon. Not too shabby.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast