Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Shortend Gewehr 98

Article about: Need some help on this one please; a friend of mine (no military collector) came across this rifle, and wishes to sell it. It was found in a house in the North of France, but he has no histo

Default Shortend Gewehr 98

Need some help on this one please;
    a friend of mine (no military collector) came across this rifle, and wishes to sell it. It was found in a house in the North of France, but he has no history to go with it. So as he knows I collect this kind of stuff he came by today to show it to me. It's a very nice Gewehr 98, all matching numbers, not deactivated and not reissued to the Turkish army. Very nice markings, Danzig 1915, but the strange thing is that the barrel seems to be shortend at one point. No clue who did this, or why they did it, but as it is now missing its front sight I don't think its a great help to hit your target.
    Anybody have a clue why this could be done? Seen anything like it before? My best geuss is it was damaged at one point, maybe even exploded, or had a bent barrel.
    The rest is in very good condition, and with the first patern roller coaster sight.
    He's looking for 350 euros for it, that doesn't seem to bad for a rifle is this condition, but I won't buy it, so if there is any interest please let me know.
    Sorry about the bad pictures!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Shortend Gewehr 98   Shortend Gewehr 98  

Shortend Gewehr 98   Shortend Gewehr 98  

Shortend Gewehr 98   Shortend Gewehr 98  

Default Re: Shortend Gewehr 98

Not sure as to what the reason was for chopping the barrel like but it almost looks unsafe to fire like that, but I'm guessing that it has to be deactivated? I'm guessing a postwar mod to the rifle. Maybe by a farmer? Doesn't look like any Military would do that to one of their rifles.

Perhaps we are spoiled here in the states.IMO,thats in pretty rough shape and I can tell you that with out a proper crown on the barrel its going to shoot like crap. not to mention the bore is probably toast. but maybe where you are at they are very hard to come by, and the fact its been chopped down is no big deal. it could be restored also or atleast cleaned up some.

maybe some partisan might have whacked it off,to make it easier to conceal. I know that dont make much sense,but why else would they do it??

Possible pick up by farmer in the region post WW1-muzzle end damaged and removed-could still shoot at close range 100 metres or less-wouldn't have been done to shorten the weapon for military use as you would only save a couple of inches or so-would make more sense to cut the stock much further down for that.