Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Sig m400 in 556

Article about: I guess this may be a bit new for here but I have just got a Sig m400 in 556. I would like to fit it with a scope, but I just don't know what the best would be. I don't want to break the ban

Default Sig m400 in 556

I guess this may be a bit new for here but I have just got a Sig m400 in 556. I would like to fit it with a scope, but I just don't know what the best would be. I don't want to break the bank but also don't mind spending a few quid. Most scopes seem to be for sale in the USA, but the sellers won't ship overseas. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.
    All the best,
    Damien.

PRE
    ?

I agree, definitely a lot newer than WWII!

That being said...What will you be using it for? Being honest with yourself with that question will help narrow the field of options for you. There are many, many optics choices here in the US, but I also think that many (most?) manufacturers are at least limited by ITAR as to what they can or will send overseas. You simply can't go wrong with an Aimpoint, but if you need magnification, a separate magnifier mounted behind the optic is an option. I currently run an illuminated reticle, LPV scope on my go-to AR15. I also use it during deer season on my 6.8 AR after zeroing it for that round. The beauty of that approach is that I get the best of all worlds: an illuminated reticle, LPV range of magnification, and quick, red dot target acquisition.

Best,
    Pat

Hi Pat,
    Thanks for replying. The gun will be mainly used for target shooting, nothing way out just a couple of hundred yards or so and sometimes less. The gun has a picatinny rail to mount the scope to.
    Once sorted I plan on giving it to my son. An aimpoint would most likely do the job... but what to buy.
    All the best,
    D

PRE
    ?

Hi Damien,
    If you're only shooting out to 200 yds. or less, a low power scope should be fine. Something up to 4x should serve you well, but I'd avoid the fixed power scopes. You could go higher if you're more serious about accuracy, but that would mean going to a longer, HBAR barrel, a fixed stock, hand loaded or match quality ammunition, etc. The fixed power gives you the option of dialing it down to read the wind, get better situational awareness of what's around your target, and it will still offer a clear field of view for closer targets. Just make sure you get something that goes down to a true 1x setting as many are more like 1.5x or even 2x at the lowest. Granted that shouldn't be an issue if you're not going to engage close up targets, though.

I've avoided recommending any other manufacturers because I don't really know what's available to you there. Stateside, some good options would include Leupold, SWFA, Trijicon, Vortex and Zeiss. The very high end scopes include US Optics, Schmidt and Bender and Nightforce, among others. As I'm sure you already know, you get what you pay for, so be prepared to pay for quality.

Best,
    Pat

Sig m400 in 556

I agree with pre. I wouldn't get crazy with the optics on a 5.56. But as he said a x4 magnification would be ideal at 200 meters. I even like using an inexpensive red dot sight from time to time.

Thanks Guys for your input, its has given me a heads up as to the right direction to go. I just need to find someone to sell me one now as most sights I have seen for sale in the UK are just for airsoft and I need the real thing.
    All the best,
    D

I always loved Leupold, but never had alot of luck with them. Weaver was always a solid and dependable scope, as was Redfield. In my day, these were the "Big Three" scopes.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Quote by JERSEY 34 View Post
    I guess this may be a bit new for here but I have just got a Sig m400 in 556. I would like to fit it with a scope, but I just don't know what the best would be. I don't want to break the bank but also don't mind spending a few quid. Most scopes seem to be for sale in the USA, but the sellers won't ship overseas. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.
    All the best,
    Damien.
    Damien,
    For 200 yard shooting I would go to at least a 1-6X scope or even higher magnification. I started out with Aimpoints on 2 of my AR's but once I started shooting past 100 yards quickly switched to higher magnification variable scopes.
    God luck in your quest for a scope.
    Sam