Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smith & Wesson Victory Revolver

Article about: Probably my favourite out of all the deactivated firearms I own. As far as I know, it's a pretty standard one, made in the States for export to Britain via Lend Lease. Chambered in .38 S&

Default Smith & Wesson Victory Revolver

Probably my favourite out of all the deactivated firearms I own. As far as I know, it's a pretty standard one, made in the States for export to Britain via Lend Lease. Chambered in .38 S&W/.38-200. I really like the finish on this one, though I suspect it was redone postwar. Other than a few minor scratches and abrasions from holster wear, it's in near-perfect condition, and retains its original walnut grips.
    I know that some markings on it are German proof marks, for resale onto the civilian market, but I'd be interested to know the significance of the serial number on the grip strap. From service with the West German police or military, perhaps?

Apologies for photo quality. They seem to come out blurry for some reason.

Regards, B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Smith & Wesson Victory Revolver   Smith & Wesson Victory Revolver  

Smith & Wesson Victory Revolver  

Nice gun! I have not seen marking on the back strap before. The finish appears to be original to my eyes. The finish on the victory pistols varied in color quite a bit throughout production. Is it US property marked on the top of the frame?
    John

It is!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Smith & Wesson Victory Revolver  

Hopefully someone comes along that can help explain the markings on the backstrap. These saw much use during the lifetime in the military.
    John

I did some looking on the Smith and Wesson forum and the markings on the back strap are for Wurttemberg-Baden-Stadtkreis-Stuttgart the 555 would have been the weapon/inventory number

Another mystery unraveled. Much appreciated!

B.B.

Any time. I like doing the searches, I learn more along the way as well. I have an Australian and a New Zealand marked pistol. I'm still looking for a British marked pistol. I have an American pistol, but it's not an "official" victory, it doesn't have the V in the serial. The .380s are pleasant to shoot, but the .38 spcl in that small of a pistol isn't all that fun, but they all shoot so nice.

?

Nice pistol and the finish may very well be original. What is the serial number on the bottom of the hand grip? It would seem that yours at some point was transferred to the German Police after the war - similarly to the "Bavarian" M1 Carbines.

S&M M&Ps of this era had the SN marked in several places - bottom of the hand grip, on the backside of the cylinder, underneath the barrel, and on the inside of the stocks. It is pretty rare to find a pistol with all matching markings - especially the stocks.

Early Lend-Lease pistols are not marked with a "V" sequence serial number and are known as Pre-Victory models. I bought a Lend-Lease Pre-Victory purely by chance that is all-matching. You can get the specific details on when your pistol was produced and the configuration it left the factory by getting a factory letter from S&W - costs $25 I think but it documents your specific pistol.

Here's mine:

Smith & Wesson Victory Revolver Smith & Wesson Victory Revolver Smith & Wesson Victory Revolver

Smith & Wesson Victory Revolver Smith & Wesson Victory Revolver Smith & Wesson Victory Revolver

And the factory letter:

Smith & Wesson Victory Revolver Smith & Wesson Victory Revolver
    Last edited by MarkV; 05-13-2017 at 01:10 PM.

Mine has the serial number 'V 654014.' Have been thinking about ordering a factory letter for a while, though I hear the waiting list is pretty lengthy.
    In regards to the serial numbers, it appears to be all matching. Hard to tell with the underside of the barrel, as the slot cut for the deactivation work has destroyed a couple of the numbers. The ones that are there match the other serials.
    Will unscrew the grips and check them as soon as I can, and update you with the good/bad news.

Regards, B.B.

Had a chance to buy one of these in a pawn shop in houston recently. Condition was very poor so I had to pass on it... Heartbreaking..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast