Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SMLE Opinions

Article about: by KriegMann Well, I guess I'll ask a question that I think I know the answer to. Are they deacts? Yes mate they are

Default SMLE Opinions

Chaps, can I have your opinion on this SMLE, dated 1916 and made by BSA and a Mk 3, sorry but this is the only picture I have

Cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SMLE Opinions  
    Ben

Default Re: SMLE Opinions

Not a lot to go on but it looks like the mag cut- off is still in place which is a desirable feature. Overall looks in good shape. Do you know if there are any unit markings on the butt disc?

Sorry but that all the info I have, how much should I be paying for one of these?

- - Updated - -

Sorry and what is a mag cut off? and why id this better?
    Ben

The magazine cut- off allowed single rounds to be loaded into the chamber while holding the main magazine of 10 rounds in reserve. I think the idea was so that soldiers would not blaze away and waste ammo. These were deleted later on (I think around 1916) to simplify production. So it is a nice feature to have as not all have them.

In terms of price. I would personally be happy to pay around £250- £300 mark. But to be fair that is only based on what I am seeing in the pic. Check out dealer's sites to get a better handle on current prices I paid £400 for mine, but that is 1914 dated and has the mag cut- off and also volley sights for long- range fire. Hope this helps.

Cheers guys, I am also looking at this one, again any advice or opinions on this SMLE?

Again cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SMLE Opinions   SMLE Opinions  

SMLE Opinions   SMLE Opinions  

Ben

Whats the date on the second one? I'm wondering if the NZ would indicate use by New Zealand troops?

Ace 1918 is the date and thanks for the help
    Ben

No problem Ben. I love these rifles. I am guessing that the NZ does indeed denote use by New Zealand troops. The late WW1 date may suggest that it was re- issued to them during the Second World War. Take a look at the New Zealand marking on this site, it pretty similar.

Government*Ownership*Marks

To be honest, if I had to choose between the two rifles I would choose............ both!

- - Updated - -

No problem Ben. I love these rifles. I am guessing that the NZ does indeed denote use by New Zealand troops. The late WW1 date may suggest that it was re- issued to them during the Second World War. Take a look at the New Zealand marking on this site, it pretty similar.

Government*Ownership*Marks

To be honest, if I had to choose between the two rifles I would choose............ both!

So I can take it both are good rifles to have then lol
    Ben

More pics of this last one
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SMLE Opinions   SMLE Opinions  

SMLE Opinions  
    Ben

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast