Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Sniper Rifle Competition

Article about: I spent the weekend on Range #1 of the USMC Weapons Training Battalion at Quantico, VA. I competed in a 2 day sniper rifle competition that had rifles from WWII up to modern platforms. We al

?

Default Sniper Rifle Competition

I spent the weekend on Range #1 of the USMC Weapons Training Battalion at Quantico, VA. I competed in a 2 day sniper rifle competition that had rifles from WWII up to modern platforms. We also had some of the Weapons Battalion cadre compete with us.

We shot team matches at 300 and 600 yards, and an individual match at 600 yards yesterday. Today we shot team at 600 and 800 yards and then an individual match at 1000 yards. I learned so much about winds and muzzle velocity!! I think I need to push my loads up to 45 grains of Varget powder - they appear to get anemic beyond 600 yards.

Today , one of the young Marine corporals was shooting with us. He was using a USMC Vietnam era sniper rifle and I offered to let him try my rifle at 800 yards. He jumped at the chance and, right as he was about to fire the first round, one of his sergeants warned him that these rifles can bite. Despite that warning, he caught the bolt in the chin experience. After 4 rounds he declared his shoulder was toasted (I shot about 140 rounds over the 2 days with this rifle). He is a great young Marine and now has a "war story" to tell tomorrow when he has to explain the large bruise on his chin.

Skip and I had the only Soviet rifles - all the other vintage snipers were 1941 03s - they are preferred over the A4s because of the 2.5X scope on the A4s. No Garands this time and no Enfields or Mausers.

Default Re: Sniper Rifle Competition

Sounds like you had a good time!

Glad to hear you weren't hurt by that shooter...

?

That sounds like a great experience that Few will have a chance to duplicate. So how did the Corporal shoot your old war dog? Better than you?
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Awesome, Mark!

?

He did pretty well - only fired 4 rounds; my son was calling his shots and they didn't record them. He was doing well - probably would have beat me over the 15 rounds if he kept going.

?

Was the Corporal part of the Scout/ Sniper school?
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

I think he is an armorer in the battalion.