Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Some photos of my WW2 collection

Article about: This is my first post and a hardy hello to all. Here are some photos of some of my WW2 guns and other items. I will be post more of the field gear I have and other items. I have numerous Jap

Default Re: Some photos of my WW2 collection

My dad got it for me for Christmas from a gentlemen whose father was in the merchant marine. THe gun is nice and was not aresnal refinished and has an original holster. We also got a type 38 carbine with bayonet. I will get some pictures of the type 99 that was sent home later today. thanks forall the great info and hope i was able to describe the type 26 issues alright.

sean

Hi Sean, forgot the say you are very lucky to have a Father that buys you nice guns for Christmas. My Dad never gave me WW2 guns for Christmas. He did give me a Crossman BB gun that looks and feels just like an US WW2 M1 Carbine for Xmas in 1967. I still have it, and it works perfectly. I shoot cats in my yard with it still. KIDDING, I love cats. Maybe I will post a pic of it. Also gave me a couple of small revolvers he had before he passed away in 2001. I did not know he had those ones. They were my Grandfathers pocket pistols.

The T26 is probably worn like you say, and understand what you are saying.

Regards, Steve

I shoot cats in my yard with it still.
    ?

I have a psycho rabbit by the name of Fluffy that keeps the cats out It took on my grandads gun dog..........and scared it off

Quote by Kilroy Was Here View Post
    Hi Sean, it's supposed to do that. As I said the cylinder only locks in place when the trigger is fully in the rearward position, like just after you shoot a round, maybe I was not too clear on that.
    When you get the pistol in your hands again, dry fire it and keep squeezing the trigger back, and check the cylinder to see if it is locked in position. Make sure you hold the hammer good, and do not let it snap down on an empty chamber, you might break the firing pin.

My suggestion would be to leave it alone as is either way, and keep as the bring back it is. Send a pic of the holster some time. I have one too with a shoulder strap I will post.

Let me know about the T26, I would like to know. I really do not think there is anything wrong with it. A lot of people think theirs is broken, just a stupid design.

Regards, Steve
    Hey Steve,

So the cylinder is supposed to spin both ways? It does lock up when you pull the trigger back. I just thought it spun the other way because the notches are worn on the ends and a little tip of the one metal part is worn. My Dad is actually going to come back to PA for on Sunday and i told him to bring it and i will take some pictures of it, the holster and the worn parts. And i will take some shots of the sent back type 99. I tried today to do it but the weather was a little drizzly and thats my best place for some photos. if it is not clear tomorrow i will some inside, But thanks again for all your information i really appreciate it. I did not realize how bad a design the Type 26 was. I just thought it was always like a nagant pistol.

thanks,

Sean

Quote by grndskeeper View Post
    I picked-up a Type 38 Arisaka about 20 years ago, from an antique store in Ohio. I have no idea if the bolt matches the weapon (can't make-out the stampings), but it does have a metal bolt-cover that I was told by another collector is usually missing, AA sights and its firing pin (although the cleaning rod and strap are missing).

The interesting bit is that the Imperial Mum is intact, but purposely stamped-through with a very clear kana character that several websites suggest indicates the weapon was transferred from the IJA to a military school. I haven't checked (oddly enough no that I think of it) to see if the rifling is intact, or if the weapon was converted to smoothebore for training.

In addition the butt of the weapon seems to have some sort of odd circular branding that's worn-down, although I could be just trying to make something out of it (like seeing the image of the Virgin Mary in a piece of toast).

Nearest I can figure from the stampings I can read, the rifle was made in the Kokura Arsenal, between 1943 and 1945. I can't make-out the series stamping...I'll post pics of this rifle in hopes you guys can help me figure-out what the truth is

Cheers,
    Mac.
    Yes take some photos of the gun and i might be able to help you out. I have a production list of Japanese rifles right next to my computer with all the series, markings and production numbers. All the photos you can provide will help. I am pretty sure they stopped making the type 38 carbine by 1940.

Sean

Quote by GasMasksUK View Post
    ?

I have a psycho rabbit by the name of Fluffy that keeps the cats out It took on my grandads gun dog..........and scared it off
    i got a rabbit too but he just begs for food near the refriderator..

My dad got it for me for Christmas from a gentlemen whose father was in the merchant marine. THe gun is nice and was not aresnal refinished and has an original holster. We also got a type 38 carbine with bayonet. I will get some pictures of the type 99 that was sent home later today. thanks forall the great info and hope i was able to describe the type 26 issues alright.

sean

Hi Sean, forgot the say you are very lucky to have a Father that buys you nice guns for Christmas. My Dad never gave me WW2 guns for Christmas. He did give me a Crossman BB gun that looks and feels just like an US WW2 M1 Carbine for Xmas in 1967. I still have it, and it works perfectly. I shoot cats in my yard with it still. KIDDING, I love cats. Maybe I will post a pic of it. Also gave me a couple of small revolvers he had before he passed away in 2001. I did not know he had those ones. They were my Grandfathers pocket pistols.

The T26 is probably worn like you say, and understand what you are saying.

Regards, Steve
    My Dad has been collecting guns for years but mainly old colts and winchesters and i got into military guns especially WW2 stuff. We set up at gun shows numerous throughout the year and he is always finding a neat guns here and there. I liked to see that M-1 bb gun as it sounds pretty interesting. I set up displays at my local historical society and gun events in the area up here in PA. The Christmas before he got me the m-1 carbine paratrooper and a Swiss Luger. I am trying to find a nice 1899/1936 belgian short rifle as i missed chance to buy one a few months and still kick myself for not acting sooner. Another one i would like to find is a Polish Radom mauser. ALthough my favorite mauser that i do own is a 1935 Chilean Carbanerios rifle. Anyway i will have those type 26 photos on next week and the type 99 hopefully tomorrow, thanks again..I will also check to see if i have any extra heavy canvas type 14 holsters.

sean

?

Hello gasmasks!! Can I borrow the rabbit? sounds like a tough one.
    I have a female police officer who lives right in the house next door to me. She and her goofy husband have 5 cats for almost a year now!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are driving my schnauzer dog and myself nuts. They are like cockroaches all over the place. I let the dog out after them, but she is not fast enough......yet! I have been here 20 years, and the dog 5 or so years before they even moved in, so this is her turf.

The cats, combined with all the racoons around here, is lovely before trash day if you are not careful.

Steve

Hello gasmasks!! Can I borrow the rabbit? sounds like a tough one.
    I dont think its tough, I personally think its a bit stupid for taking on dogs and cats........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Some photos of  my WW2 collection  

Quote by ak474me View Post
    Hey Steve,

" I liked to see that M-1 bb gun as it sounds pretty interesting "

So the cylinder is supposed to spin both ways? It does lock up when you pull the trigger back. I just thought it spun the other way because the notches are worn on the ends and a little tip of the one metal part is worn. My Dad is actually going to come back to PA for on Sunday and i told him to bring it and i will take some pictures of it, the holster and the worn parts. And i will take some shots of the sent back type 99. I tried today to do it but the weather was a little drizzly and thats my best place for some photos. if it is not clear tomorrow i will some inside, But thanks again for all your information i really appreciate it. I did not realize how bad a design the Type 26 was. I just thought it was always like a nagant pistol.

thanks,

Sean

Hi Sean, yes it spins both ways. It also locks up when you pull the trigger all the way back. I think I said that in the post?? Bad design. Anyway, check it out when you can fondle it. A little hard when you do not have in hand.

Here is a couple pics of the M1 Carbine BB gun. I am going to do a separate post on it I think. Might be a amusing one.

Regards, Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Some photos of  my WW2 collection   Some photos of  my WW2 collection  

Some photos of  my WW2 collection  

I dont think its tough, I personally think its a bit stupid for taking on dogs and cats........
    Tough and stupid, good combo. That's a nice looking dog!! I think dogs are the greatest. I have had dogs my whole life. I am on the 4th now. Heres a pic. She's pretty tough, do not be deceived by her general appearance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Some photos of  my WW2 collection  

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast