Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Some rifles from my collection

Article about: St George gets around-he appears on British and Empire gold sovereigns-1931 Perth Mint example (last year they were produced)-he's also very big in Georgia (the Black Sea country).

Default Re: Some rifles from my collection

St George gets around-he appears on British and Empire gold sovereigns-1931 Perth Mint example (last year they were produced)-he's also very big in Georgia (the Black Sea country).

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	230.8 KB 
ID:	234778  

This is a Canadian Ross Mk.II straight-pull rifle in .303 British, standard issue for the Canadian militia from 1905 - 1913 and then used in a training role during WW1. There were a number of different variations of this one, as the rifle (not a success in service ) was tinkered with to try and improve its faults before it was scrapped entirely and the Mk.III came out with an almost totally different action. The Ross made a great target rifle and shot extremely accurately, although it developped a reputation for jamming when dirty or hot that lead to its unpopularity and eventual replacement by the SMLE in 1916. Once the Ross Mk.III was relegated to training, the remaining Mk.IIs were sold to the US for use as training rifles there upon their entry into the war in 1917. This is one of those American-proofed examples, which also made it overseas for training in England with the Canadian Expeditionary Force, as it's stamped LC, for Large Chamber. This means it was reamed out to accept British wartime production ammo, which was built to notably looser tolerances than the Canadian peacetime product.

The Mk.II has some interesting features, most notably the Harris controlled magazine. The rifle is loaded one round at a time, but the process is speeded by pressing down on the tab beneath the rear sight, which is connected to the magazine follower, allowing you to relieve the spring pressure. I've found the easiest way to do it is to drop a round in the open action one at a time and pop them in using the tab. This, however, isn't noticably faster than loading them conventionally, and is notably slower than a stripper clip. Worse, it still allows to possibility of rim jams.

Next week, when I get back from my vacation, I'll post pictures of my Ross Mk.III, which replaced the Mk.II and was actually used in the trenches in WW1.

Outstanding Ross MkII, Nyles...
    As always, you give a detail history behind the weapon...Very informative...
    We expect the MkIII...
    Best regards, Thanos.

Good example of the uncommon MkII-It always amazes me that the Ross ever entered military service-did the Canucks do no testing of these in the field whatsoever? Or were any Army objections overruled on political grounds? Many a brave man's death or wounding could be put down to the type's unsuitability for active service use (even given the extremely harsh conditions of the Western Front). They did make good hunting rifles if well maintained.

very nice rifle nyles thank you for the added information most informative keep em coming

There was testing done, but the minister of militia at the time, Sir Sam Hughes, was a huge believer in it. The Ross was adopted because during the Boer War, the British had refused to supply Lee-Enfields to Canada, citing their own needs. It was decided to pursure a made in Canada alternative, and Sir Charles Ross offered to build a factory in Quebec at his own expense to make them. Combined with the fact that it dominated the rifle matches at Bisley, it seemed like a good decision at the time. There were alot of "good ideas" in the Canadian militia before WW1!

This is the Mk.III Ross, which was the model actually carried by Canadian troops in the trenches of WW1 prior to 1916. The Mk.III came along as a result of the continual problems with the Mk.II in service, and the British Empire's flirtation with long range shooting after the Boer War. The action had a multiple lug bolt head which would handle the .280 Ross cartridge, which ballistically was just shy of the 7mm Magnum round, which Ross pushed unsuccessfully to become the new Canadian service round.

The military model was in the standard .303 British cartridge, and dispensed with the Harris magazine in favor of a conventional stripper-clip loaded magazine. The rear sight was changed to an aperture behind the receiver, and the barrel was lengthened by 2", making the rifle quite long and heavy.

The rifle had 3 major flaws, the length and weight making it quite unweildy in the trenches, the perennial jamming issue (espescially with British wartime ammunition manufactured to looser tolerences), and the fact that the bolt could be assembled incorrectly and not lock up properly, causing it to be blown back in the face of the shooter when firing. Now, this was pretty difficult to do, but quite possible, espescially for an inexperienced soldier in training! Because of that, you can see that there's a pin soldered into the bolt to prevent it from being taken apart, a common modification.

The other interesting feature of this rifle is the bayonet, which has been ground and sharpened from it's original broad profile. This was done in England to all weapons issued to the Canadian Expeditionary Force in order to better penetrate German greatcoats.

Excellent Nyles...As always, you give a very informative background on the rifle...
    Take care, Thanos.

This is the newest addition to my collection, a Winchester 1895 Russian Contract Musket, known to the Russians as the Vintovka Vinchestya Obr.1915G. During WW1 the Russian production of the Mosin-Nagant M1891 couldn't keep up with battlefield attrition, so a mission was sent to the US to contract there for liscensed production of the Mosin, which was done with Remington and New England Westinghouse. When the Russians went to Winchester, however, they became interested in their Modle 1895 lever action rifle, which had already been made in a militarised form for the US Army.

The Russian model differed from the standard Musket (or military model) in the addition to two charger guides to allow for the use of stripper clips. 300,000 were produced and used in WW1, after which they were popular during the Russian Civil War and espescially in Finland during their war of independence. Following this they were exported to Republican Spain during the Spanish Civil War, and most seen in North America have either Spanish or Finn proof marks. Interestingly, this has neither.

It's a very neat rifle, with a surprisingly smooth action, considering how complicated it is, and probably no heavier than an M1891 Mosin. The lever isn't the easiest to use in the prone position, which probably accounts for some of the lack of success of lever actions in military service after the 1870s. It has a very nice bore and I plan to shoot it at least once!

You can make cases for the 6.5X54M/S, One case is the .220 Swift, turn down the rim and deepen the extractor groove, Full length size in the 6.5M/S dies and trim to length. You can build just about any centerfire case if you desire. I can post all the physical data if your interested? Nice rifle. I shoot a lot of off breed stuff and try not to buy any store bought. Mike

Outstanding rifles, Nyles. Keep 'em coming! And thanks for the detailed histories.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast