Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Some rifles from my collection

Article about: St George gets around-he appears on British and Empire gold sovereigns-1931 Perth Mint example (last year they were produced)-he's also very big in Georgia (the Black Sea country).

?

Default Some rifles from my collection

Seeing as I got such a positive response to the pictures of my handguns in the handguns thread, I thought I'd start another one where I could post some pictures of my rifles.

This first one is espescially for Colt 1911A1, who had so much to say about my pistols. It's a Greek Mannlicher Schoenauer Y:1903/14 in 6.5 x 54mm Schoenauer, made by Breda in 1927. It's missing the piling hook and has a mismatched bolt, but is otherwise in very nice shape. Interestingly, it has a trench art cross and the initials scratched onto the butt. I can't know for sure when or by whom this was done, but given as the cross is a Greek national symbol, I like to think it was done by Greek hands.

I've never actually shot this rifle, as I can't seem to find 6.5mm Schoenauer ammo for love or money. Ironically when I first started collecting the 2nd rifle I bought was a Carcano, and I could find Schoenauer ammo easily enough but no Carcano. Now I have one and I can't find any! The gun shop where I work as dies for loading it, but they're $90 and I can't justify that expense when I can't even find cases.

More pictures to come, I just moved and need to unpack my camera and figure out where to get the best light in my new house.

Default Re: Some rifles from my collection

Can't wait to see them all!!!
    Very nice rifle! Thanks for showing.

Regards

now you don't see one of those everyday

tom

I'm honored Nyles for the dedication...Yes it's a nice example of greek MS. Y is the first letter of the greek word "YΠΟΔΕΙΓΜΑ" meaning sample or better; model. The cross in the shield is a greek national symbol even to our days. It was made by Steyer and Breda of Italy. The inscription of initials was a way of bluntly showing "property of"; used by the soldiers. I only had the privilege of admiring these old warhorses in various greek museums; it was a rifle that fought in all the major wars of my country for almost half a century, it's name becoming something of a household one...I have only a couple of MS greek-made rounds dating back to 1910-1912. Following is a story as writen in a greek military newspaper...Ouote:
    A note hidden in a gun...
    Lambis N. Volonakis, a sergeant of 1st Platoon, 17th Regiment was serving in Minor Asia in 1920.
    Dismantling his rifle for regular cleaning, he found a note and a small coin. He kept them till he returned to his homebase and he gave them to the Historical & Ethnological Foundation of Greece. The note is a sample of the spirit of the comradeship of the soldiers...
    Bizani, February 20 1913
    Dear coleague, i salute you, you that you'll have the luck to find this note in the stock of this rifle...You'll find a coin to buy a cigarette to smoke in my health... This rifle i carried it for five years. It honoured me and i honoured it, but now i'm forced to leave it behind, due to my injury.
    I never surrendered it and if our Country needs you, honour it...End of quote...
    Thanks for showing...
    Best regards, Thanos.
    Last edited by COLT 1911A1; 08-26-2011 at 09:59 PM.

The rifle type illustrates the tangled politics of the Balkans-sold to Greece by Austria-Hungary before WW1 and used by the Greeks against them during WW1, then because of the Treaty of St Germain en Laye no new examples available after the war from Austria so the Greeks order the rifles from Italy and then in 1940...

Good example of a rifle not often seen.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    The rifle type illustrates the tangled politics of the Balkans-sold to Greece by Austria-Hungary before WW1 and used by the Greeks against them during WW1, then because of the Treaty of St Germain en Laye no new examples available after the war from Austria so the Greeks order the rifles from Italy and then in 1940...

Good example of a rifle not often seen.
    Hi there lithgow, one small correction though...The Greeks never fought with Austro-Hungarians during WWI. They fought along Serbs and Montenegrins and Bulgarians against Turks and later Bulgarians, but not ever with Austro-Hungarians (due to distance).
    Regards, Thanos.

The provisional Government of Greece did declare war on the Central Powers 24.11.1916 and then after the removal of King Constantine and his govt the new 'official' declaration of war was made 2.7.1917-Greece was at war with Austria-Hungary (and the other Central Powers) even if not actively so.

?

Thanks for the kind replies - and thats a great story about the note. Here's some more pictures, unfortunately my new house isn't nearly as well set up for gun photography as the old one. The rifle has several of those interested man on horse proofs, which I believe are meant to represent Saint George. The Greek FN Mauser 1930 rifles had quite a dramatic one of the wrist - I once had the opportunity to purchase one and regeret that I didn't.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    The provisional Government of Greece did declare war on the Central Powers 24.11.1916 and then after the removal of King Constantine and his govt the new 'official' declaration of war was made 2.7.1917-Greece was at war with Austria-Hungary (and the other Central Powers) even if not actively so.
    OK, lithgow, thanks for the facts...Indeed they are as you mention...I was just commenting for the fact that the Steyr-made MSs never actually used against the ones that sold them in the first place to the Greeks...
    Best regards, Thanos.
    Last edited by COLT 1911A1; 08-27-2011 at 11:09 AM.

Quote by Nyles View Post
    Thanks for the kind replies - and thats a great story about the note. Here's some more pictures, unfortunately my new house isn't nearly as well set up for gun photography as the old one. The rifle has several of those interested man on horse proofs, which I believe are meant to represent Saint George. The Greek FN Mauser 1930 rifles had quite a dramatic one of the wrist - I once had the opportunity to purchase one and regeret that I didn't.

Very nice, Nyles...The mounted man is indeed Saint George, the protector Saint of the Greek Army. The proofs are all over numerous greek-issued weapons...
    The most beautifuly-detailed i've seen, is on top of a water-cooled MG08, in the Greek War Museum, downtown Athens...
    Get more...Best regards, Thanos.
    Last edited by COLT 1911A1; 08-27-2011 at 11:22 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast