Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Some tin-types of my collection.

Article about: These were taken by my wife for her project - The camera is a Japanese reproduction of an 1860's era Ambriotype. The exposures range from 4-7 seconds and are directly onto tin. They are reve

?

I'm attending an event at the end of next month. More than likely there will be at least one photographer and I will try to get a pic of the setup. They do have access to water and mobile "home made" dark rooms (more like a large compartment you stick your head and arms into) and reenactors are already accustomed to having to wait for their photograph for 5-7hours. The biggest difference with your wife would be using a period camera. I paid $100 for a 3X5 Ambriotype taken with a reproduction camera. The pics came out good but not that good. Also I am sure this would appeal to all kinds of 19th and early 20th century reenactors, not just civil war.

Slade - thank you, so much for the info. Her camera is also a replica of an 1860's camera - although made by a company that has been making them a long time.
    index

I have just been informed, whilst reading your email out loud to her, that an Ambriotype uses glass, she does't have that equipment - hers (the ones in this thread) are tin-types, which we have the equipment and chemicals for - they are 4X5.

Thanks again!

?

Quote by pitfighter View Post
    Slade - thank you, so much for the info. Her camera is also a replica of an 1860's camera - although made by a company that has been making them a long time.
    index

I have just been informed, whilst reading your email out loud to her, that an Ambriotype uses glass, she does't have that equipment - hers (the ones in this thread) are tin-types, which we have the equipment and chemicals for - they are 4X5.

Thanks again!
    They still look a heck of a lot more correct than mine. The ones Ive got in the past have way too much black. I'll pm you a pic for her to inspect. I don't know what the interest levels are for something like that in California but on the east coast people (myself included) pay good money for something like that. Anyway just an idea I thought I would throw out there.

Much appreciated - thank you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12