Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Something a little older than usual.

Article about: So, this one is a little out of what I usually collect, but for 70 bucks I couldn't say "No" to it. Picked this fella up in an antiques store a few hours away from town, and I've b

Default Something a little older than usual.

So, this one is a little out of what I usually collect, but for 70 bucks I couldn't say "No" to it. Picked this fella up in an antiques store a few hours away from town, and I've been scratching my head as to what it is. I believe it is a Pedersoli 1854 Lorenz that had been shortened for perhaps a trapper or self defense (I've heard of one of these being sold from Newfoundland to other Canadian companies..), but I honestly have no idea. Ramrod and the hammer is missing, and it seems there is a storage spot on the butt of the rifle, possibly for wadding or shot. Honestly, I have no clue what to make of this thing, but I do know that I love it. What do you kind folks think of it? What is it? What era is it from? Pictures aren't the best since it's been rather gloomy and miserable in Central Newfoundland recently so I can't get any pictures in natural light. Haven't found any serial numbers on it, either..

Again, I apologize for the poor picture quality. I'll try to get some better ones if needed!

?

Well that would look good over a fireplace mantle.
    What makes you think it is a Pedersoli 1854 Lorenz? Are there any markings?
    Looking at a Pedersoli 1854 Lorenz/1854 Lorenz online. I'm not really seeing the match.
    Mainly the octagon barrel breech area is round on yours.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

It looks like some one found some parts and hodge podged it all together, The trigger and trigger guard are ill fitting to say the least and look newer made than the rest of the piece as does the barrel holder and bottom stock plates, the nipple on the barrel is obviously for a cap and ball firearm... Odd..
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Looks good with the rest of my rifles, too. Only thing that really makes me think it's a Pedersoli 1854 is that it seems somewhat similar in the octagon barrel breech and the stock itself. The bronzed brass I've also seen on the Model 1854 but honestly I have no clue.

I wouldn't be surprised, in all truth. Only thing I could find that looked close to it was the mentioned Pedersoli, and even that doesn't look all that similar. If it is a put together, it at least looks nice.. Very odd indeed.

?

Are there any markings?
    Possibly under the barrel.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Sadly, no markings. Like, nothing at all.

?

Have you taken the barrel out of the stock? Sometimes marked or Proofed there.
    It looks like the tang screw is missing and only the barrel band is holding it in.
    I guess the big question is.... Do you plan on trying to get her to the smoke pole it should be? (Fix Her Up?)

Semper Fi
    Phil

What you have there is a sporterized model 1841 Whitney percussion musket, made in New Haven by Eli Whitney through to the 1850's. Stock is cut down and barrel may also be shortened. It should be 33 inch. These were originally in .54 calibre but by time of US civil war many were converted to .58
    The lock is missing (which would confirm identity), but the musket furniture including patch box, is unmistakably Whitney. The barrel tang may have a mark. Converted to sporting spec probably post Civil war era.

Please upload your photos correctly or this thread will be closed and deleted.
    Ralph.

Matter of fact, it appears that most, if not all of your threads do not have the photos posted correctly.
    We do not allow the use of outside photo hosting sites here.
    See post #1 of this thread.
    Please don't use picture hosting from other picture hosting sites for the forum
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast