Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Soviet Infantry weapons collection

Article about: Hi Guys, I though that you might be interested to see some of my WW2 Soviet Infantry weapons? It is my ambition to try and obtain one of each weapon This is a long term project As I live in

Default Re: Soviet Infantry weapons collection

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Bruce, you are not wrong, but funnly enough I have just bought a new book last week in Germany on the US /Soviet link up in Torgau and on the front cover is a Soviet Officer with a red 9 stuck in his belt.

Cheers, Ade.
    Now that I have no doubt of. battlefield pickups were common in every Army. Whether you got to keep it, and take it home was another matter. I have seen Red Army infantry in Berlin with Lugers, P-38s, MP-40s, etc, etc, but I doubt the NKVD let them take them home as relics.

I have an original Broomhandle in .30 Mauser, and I wore it to an event one time, just for the S&Gs of it, and some guy started giving me grief because it didn't have the 9 in the pistol grips, and I explained that the Soviet ones were not chambered in 9mm P. He began to argue, so I just smiled, and walked away.

Would you like to see the .30 Mauser one?

?

The Broomhandle is a favourite of mine. Got to like that ungainly looking firearm.

On a trip to the US, I had the chance to shoot several variations.

Here a Chinese one from the batch of imports from that country.
    I believe you can just see the retrofitted 'Red9' wooden handle.

Firing it is a real eye opener; whilst having no problem hitting a target due to long sight radius, one really notices how short a distance there is from the backstrap to the trigger.
    Especially without the stock, that makes for akward shooting even with my average sized hands.

I like them a lot. If it was good enough for Winston Churchill, its good enough for me.
    If your havent fired one, do.

Just remember, that in the U.S., if you have the detachable wooden stock, and ever put it on the weapon, it automatically (in the minds of the ATF) becomes a short barreled rifle, and so requires a tax stamp. This is what got several WWII vets in trouble after the 1968 GCA (Gun Control Act) was passed, and they were filmed firing their Arty Lugers with the stocks, and ATF went after them.

?

This was the property of a LEO. I belive, he has his permits in order

Quote by Scout View Post
    This was the property of a LEO. I believe, he has his permits in order
    My comment was actually more aimed at others than you. Not everyone is aware, and I wouldn't want to see someone get nailed for ignorance.

?

We certainly appreciate the heads-up. Thanks.

?

Basically yes. Minor differences. But I'm looking for the answer to question "are they interchangeable?" too

Soviet Infantry weapons collectionSoviet Infantry weapons collection

They sure were all kind of Mauser pistols, even that "Russian" anarchists in Sydney street were armed with c-96. But the Bolo version was one and only officially bought for the RKKA. Was in servise from the end of Civil War . There are some info about M-30 version, but I haven't seen any proof of it, yet.

I do quite a bit of reloading. I also manufacture, or more accurately re-manufacture brass into a different cartridge case. One that I make is to take 5.56mm/.223 Rem brass, and re-manufacture it into 7.62 x 25 mm blanks. after used as a blank, I then trim it, and use it as 7.62 x 25mm, or .30 Mauser live. I use the same reloading dies for both calibers, as they are so close to each other. I load the .30 Mauser with an 85 grain FMJ bullet, and the 7.62 with a 110 gn FMJ bullet. I have not had any problems with any of my ammo. My Bolo loves the light ball, my TT-33s, PPsH-41, and PPs-43 all eat the 110s without any problems.

So the answer to you question ph3s is, yes they are interchangeable. The rule of thumb within the reloading community is, if the difference is less than 4 hundredths of an inch, you are fine.

Just as an example, Warsaw Pact 7.62 is bored to .311, whereas U.S./NATO standard for 7.62 is .308. When loading for WP 7.62 you can use a .308 bullet with no problems, but you will loose some minor accuracy at over 600 meters. By the same token, if you can only get the .311 bullet, you can fire it in a .308 bored weapon, but need to reduce the propellant charge to prevent overpressure issues.

The point is, the ammo is useable in all of these weapons.

Bruce

Here are pics of my Bolo .30 Mauser Broomhandle.

This is exactly the configuration I have carried at living history events.

Bruce
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet Infantry weapons collection   Soviet Infantry weapons collection  

Soviet Infantry weapons collection   Soviet Infantry weapons collection  

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    My Mosin Nagants:

M1938 Carbine and two M91/30's. (винтовка образца 1891/30-го года, винтовка Мосина) Round and hexhagonal recievers

Some close up pics of the M1938 Carbine. Serial number “NP9068“. Dated 1942. Made by Izhvesk Arsenal.
    Hi Adrian

Nice M1938, I have just bought one myself, but have just realised, like yours, it has the later M44 stock fitted, you can see the cutout for the later bayonet on the side of the stock

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast