Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

A special 1945 M44

Article about: by sitges1990 I don't doubt you George, but I've slung alot of lead through this rifle and the accuracy past 250 yards is dreadfull, and that's vised from the bench. It's easy to see why the

Default Re: A special 1945 M44

Quote by sitges1990 View Post
    I don't doubt you George, but I've slung alot of lead through this rifle and the accuracy past 250 yards is dreadfull, and that's vised from the bench. It's easy to see why they stayed with the 91/30. I don't know the history after WWII, but I guess they would use whatever they had at the time to snipe.

Jay
    Then your ammo must have been garbage or your rifle was shot out.

Well Happyboy, it was typical spam can, surplus Russian ammo. The barrel is alittle worn, but certainly not "shot out". Big difference trying to get a six inch grouping and a one inch grouping past 250 yards. When I say dreadfull, I should clarify I mean for the purpose of sniping accuracy. I certainly apologize if I upset you.

Jay

Quote by sitges1990 View Post
    Well Happyboy, it was typical spam can, surplus Russian ammo. The barrel is alittle worn, but certainly not "shot out". Big difference trying to get a six inch grouping and a one inch grouping past 250 yards. When I say dreadfull, I should clarify I mean for the purpose of sniping accuracy. I certainly apologize if I upset you.

Jay
    The typical spam can Russian ammo never was sniper accuracy ammo. I bought half a can myself but only shot 20 rounds before giving up with it. I now load my own 7.62 X 54r, and shoot four inch groups at 200 yards.

You did not upset me in the slightest, in fact you made me laugh.

?

Quote by happyboy View Post
    They were made after 1948, mine is dated 1955. With good ammo they are very accurate
    That sure looks like a Polish made M44. I had one new in the grease made in 1956, the Polish M44's were made up until 1962. Supposedly Russia stopped production in 1948, moved the machinery to Poland where production resumed.
    I always wondered why the poles made these after the AK and SKS were in production. Yours should have a circle with an "11" in it.

I really need to find some more of that Russian Surplus your both talking about, my '44 laminate M44 shoots point of aim with it. Haven't been able to find any locally in the past year.

There you have it Happy, nice grouping with modern ammo. However, with the ammo they had to use, maximum deviation was exponential for each additional fifty yard increase. The 44 does not demonstrate to me, the accuracy needed to hit brain housing units on homo sapiens at any great range. Shoulder shots on deer are certainly feasible at that distance. Yes George, seems this darn war on terrorism is playing havoc on our shooting hobby. The Lords of War are making alot of money though.

Jay
    Last edited by sitges1990; 10-31-2011 at 07:46 PM. Reason: SP

The reason that Poland and other Eastern Bloc countries kept on with the Mosins was that the Soviets were not keen on having their subject states making or being entirely equipped with modern weapons in case of uprisings/revolutions as indeed had occurred with East Germany and Hungary in the 1950s-this was an old policy with Colonial Empires-never give all the 'native' troops weapons as effective as yours.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    The reason that Poland and other Eastern Bloc countries kept on with the Mosins was that the Soviets were not keen on having their subject states making or being entirely equipped with modern weapons in case of uprisings/revolutions as indeed had occurred with East Germany and Hungary in the 1950s-this was an old policy with Colonial Empires-never give all the 'native' troops weapons as effective as yours.
    Wow, pretty good insight there Lithgow. I've never thought about it that way, but sure makes sense.

Jay

I agree, what lithgow said makes a lot of sense. I read up on the EG uprising after reading that. Thanks for that!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2