Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sporterised 98

Article about: Normally I wouldn't waste your time with a sporterised rifle but this one is a little special. I bought it 27 years ago to quite frankly harvest the scope and Lyman rear sight to put on a hu

Default Re: Sporterised 98

I see you live in MO, whereabouts? My dad lives in North KC a few miles from Gladstone. And seeing's how I've kept it for 27 years I don't think it was going anywhere soon but I do appreciate the sentiment! I too have been around guns my whole life but hunting rifles were never a big deal for me. Old west, military and machineguns are my main areas of focus.

Cheers
    Gary
    Quote by Seanpmc1 View Post
    Not so much research, more like a tickle of recognition in the back of my brain.

I've been immersed in firearms literally all my life. My entire family collects rare, or very high quality firearms. And since my family has stuck to their Irish roots, I have a very large and extended family. We still keep in touch with cousins that are so far removed that most people wouldn't even consider them relatives.

Some of the family members have more money than others, and everybody seems to have their own particular flavor of firearms that they favor. One (rich) cousin happens to prefer the old Safari Rifles, and along with a couple of H&H Doubles, he also has several early 1900's Bolt rifles in lighter calibers. Thats why I recognized the Express Sight dovetail. The checkering style was the first thing that made me think it was pre-WWII, but noticing the dovetail made me realize what that Rifle was likely to be.

As for thanking me, thats no problem. I would have hated to see you sell that Rifle without knowing what it was, and what it was likely to be worth.

Seanpmc1
    ?

Quote by Gary Cain View Post
    I see you live in MO, whereabouts?

Near Columbia. Pretty much right smack in the middle of the State.

Accuracy has always been my thing, so I've had a lot of Bench Rifles. Mainly Remington based, but I bought a Bushmaster "Varminter" a while back. Floated handguard, Fluted Bull bbl, National Match Trigger, etc. It would shoot sub-.250 groups all day long but the trigger was total crap so I sold it.

Mostly into Shotguns nowdays. I've got a Red-Label, an 1100 "Special Field", and an Ithaca "Flues" model SxS. Don't do much bird hunting, but I spend a considerable amount of time shooting Sporting-Clays.

My main interest in this forum is the History aspect of WWII. Plus, a lot of the WWII guys are dying now and I've already missed out on some stuff at estate auctions that I later found out was worth far more money than what was given at auction. Missed out on a SS Dagger a while back because I thought it was in such good condition it had to be a fake.

Turned out, after talking to the son of the man who had died that the old man brought it home along with a Luger, a PPK, and a "blue handled" dagger. Probably a Luftwaffe Dagger, now that I know a little more about these things. The son had kept everything except the SS Dagger, simply because it was an SS Dagger and he didn't want anything to do with it. I live right in the middle of the "Bible-belt", so owning anything with Nazi Markings, especially SS markings, can garner you a lot of criticism.

Somebody else at least thought it was real, because it ended up going for around $1100. I knew what it was, but didn't have enough knowledge to know how to tell a real one from a fake.

Yes I am a bit of a precision shooter myself! My intermediate range (out to about 1200 yds or so) is a Steyr SSG PII and for longer ranges I step up to a Research Armaments Industries .50BMG. For the closer in stuff (out to about 400 yards) I use a .41 mag revolver or a Colt Python.

I drive through Columbia every year on my way to the SOS, maybe we can meet for some lunch next time!

Cheers
    Gary
    Near Columbia. Pretty much right smack in the middle of the State.

Accuracy has always been my thing, so I've had a lot of Bench Rifles. Mainly Remington based, but I bought a Bushmaster "Varminter" a while back. Floated handguard, Fluted Bull bbl, National Match Trigger, etc. It would shoot sub-.250 groups all day long but the trigger was total crap so I sold it.

Mostly into Shotguns nowdays. I've got a Red-Label, an 1100 "Special Field", and an Ithaca "Flues" model SxS. Don't do much bird hunting, but I spend a considerable amount of time shooting Sporting-Clays.

My main interest in this forum is the History aspect of WWII. Plus, a lot of the WWII guys are dying now and I've already missed out on some stuff at estate auctions that I later found out was worth far more money than what was given at auction. Missed out on a SS Dagger a while back because I thought it was in such good condition it had to be a fake.

Turned out, after talking to the son of the man who had died that the old man brought it home along with a Luger, a PPK, and a "blue handled" dagger. Probably a Luftwaffe Dagger, now that I know a little more about these things. The son had kept everything except the SS Dagger, simply because it was an SS Dagger and he didn't want anything to do with it. I live right in the middle of the "Bible-belt", so owning anything with Nazi Markings, especially SS markings, can garner you a lot of criticism.

Somebody else at least thought it was real, because it ended up going for around $1100. I knew what it was, but didn't have enough knowledge to know how to tell a real one from a fake.

Seanpmc1
    ?

Quote by Gary Cain View Post
    (out to about 1200 yds or so)
    We're lucky to get 400 yds of open space around here. I'm right on the northern edge of the Ozarks. Our Gun Club is at an abandoned strip-mine. Great backstop for the bullets, but we can barely get 200yds of range. And we had to bypass the tailing piles and cut a 80yd path through the woods to get that.

We have some fields up near I-70 that you might get 1000yds out of, but there are way too many farmhouses and cattle around to shoot safely.

Living in Nevada, you probably have places to shoot that reach to the horizon. You can keep the heat though, its bad enough here... ;-)

Hello again,

Yes, we have a 1800 yard range that is our regular one. Just outside of town (about 15 minutes from my front door) we have the city's 400 yd range which is good for general practice but if we want to go really far we have a 3500 yard range we built in the Black Rock desert.

As far as the heat goes, we have about 6 weeks where it gets up into the high 90's and will even top out over 100 on the occasional day. But, it's a dry heat! I'll take that over swimming in the 90 degree/90% you guys get! We also have a 6 week period where it will get a little on the cold side. But in between those extremes it's pretty darn nice out here!

Cheers
    Gary

We're lucky to get 400 yds of open space around here. I'm right on the northern edge of the Ozarks. Our Gun Club is at an abandoned strip-mine. Great backstop for the bullets, but we can barely get 200yds of range. And we had to bypass the tailing piles and cut a 80yd path through the woods to get that.

We have some fields up near I-70 that you might get 1000yds out of, but there are way too many farmhouses and cattle around to shoot safely.

Living in Nevada, you probably have places to shoot that reach to the horizon. You can keep the heat though, its bad enough here... ;-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12