Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sten Gun Mk1*

Article about: This is a hand built replica of the second version of the Mk1 Sten gun, this was the first attempt to simplify the production time, and reduce costs. The total Mk1 production was undertaken

?

Default Sten Gun Mk1*

This is a hand built replica of the second version of the Mk1 Sten gun, this was the first attempt to simplify the production time, and reduce costs. The total Mk1 production was undertaken by Singers Manufacturing (Sewing machines) and they produced about a 100,000 or so Mk1's and Mk1* the latter being in very limited numbers. Most real Mk1's and Mk1* models where destroyed due to being obsolete, with some parts ending up in India sometime after WW2.
    As to the replica it took ten years to finish due to lack of information, and many man hours work. The main reason is that the Mk1 and Mk1* have quite a few features which are unique to ether models, or in some cases are specific to one version only. Everything was scratch built except the magazine and the dust which are genuine. The rifle type sling is also Mk1 type and is made of a lighter weight webbing than that of the SMLE / No 4 rifle version.

Nige.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sten Gun Mk1*   Sten Gun Mk1*  

Sten Gun Mk1*  

Default Re: Sten Gun Mk1*

Wow nice job! I own a couple of the much more common Mk 111 but your replica is actually much nicer

regards, Ty

Very nice,talented for sure

Seanpmc1
    ?

Quote by Nige H View Post
    it took ten years to finish due to lack of information, and many man hours work.
    Very nicely done. You must be in the fabrication business too. Did you machine the bolt as well, or did you use a bolt from another model?

?

Hi Sean,
    No everything on this gun was made from scratch (also most by hand) due to the laws here in the U.K., the magazine and the early type dust cover, are both genuine parts the rest of the gun including the thin web Mk1 type Sten sling were made by me. The bolt is "Bronze Look" but is actually made from brass, and has no firing pin, plus the face of the bolt is plane, eventually I plan to have this as a blank firing model, but at the moment its on lone to a local museum as part of a display so there's no rush to do any further work on it.

As to my profession, really I'm an Upholsterer by trade who has now turned to the manufacture of reproduction WWII web gear, but yes I do come from an engineering background and did train and become fully qualified as such before deciding to not go down that route.

Nige
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Beautiful job!

?

Beautiful Job Nige

I found this forum by doing a google search for information on the Mk1. I have recently formed a manufacturing company making sten guns, ( SaskSten ) and was looking for detailed drawings so that I can accurately reproduce semi auto civilian versions for sale in Canada. If you could help I would be most gratefull.

SaskSten reproduction MkII.

?

Hi Mick,
    when you say making Stens, do you mean every part, I. E. the Mag housing rotary sleeve etc. The reason I ask is that there are quite a large number of parts which are totally unique to the MK1 and MK1* and therefore simply not available from any dealers that I know of. Ryton Arms some years ago had some Mk1's for sale (deactivated) however even these were not 100% genuine weapons as they had been made out of bits and pieces, some ropey Mk2's with new tubes and parts found in India.

Nige.

?

Hi Nige

I have to make a number of parts from scratch in order for the guns to qualify as a newly built semi auto, otherwise they would be considered as converted automatics and fall into the prohibited class. The magwells and receivers are just two of these parts.

There are certain things I have to do that will detract from the MkI*'s being exact replicas, but I should to be able to build them damn close to the original thing if I can find original drawings or original parts.

?

Hi Mick,
    I had to go off measurements from one in a museum collection, as far as I know there are no original drawing around for the Mk1, maybe the Imperial war museum in London may have a set, or possibly the Royal armouries near Leeds. The main parts require are,

Butt/Stock Flat bar skeleton type (Early Mk1's)
    Butt/Stock Double tubular stock (late Mk1's & MK1*s)
    Magazine housing With MP38 Style with a hole though the centre of the housing (Early Mk1's)
    Magazine housing Without hole (late Mk1's & MK1*s)
    Wooden fore grip and dust cover (Mk1's only)
    Metal dust cover early type ( MK1*s)
    Barrel bushing with flash hider ( Mk1's)
    Barrel bushing without ( MK1*s only)
    Front sight protector (all Mk1 versions)
    Barrel muzzle shroud (all Mk1 versions)
    Rifle type front sling swivel (all Mk1 versions)
    Magazine Catch retaining plate with built in ejector. (all Mk1 versions)

Now I've not got any plans however I could take some measurements of my one and turn them into some drawings for you.

Nige.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast