Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sten mk11

Article about: by dcfc1234 Attachment 369633Attachment 369641Attachment 369640Attachment 369639Attachment 369638Attachment 369637Attachment 369636Attachment 369635Attachment 369634Attachment 369642Here are

?

Default Re: Sten mk11

I have had very good luck restoring firearms with rust over the years by using 0000 steel wool with the lanolin type hand cleaner they sell in auto stores. I liberally soak the 0000 steel wool in the hand cleaner and gently work over the rusted areas. Good luck in your restoration.

Many thanks for your advice. The photos make the gun look far worse than it is. There is only specs of rust fuming through the original paint. Most of the ones we see now have sadly been re painted.
    I have stripped it and oiled it today, I did not clean it either before taking the photos, half of what the photos show is dust and dirt.
    I will have a look at the wool and hand cleaner.
    Many thanks again.

?

In your case it should work really well. I had a 1898 Krag that was lightly pitted and while it can't remove the pits, if any, it took off all the light rust and didn't harm the bluing. I hope it works for you. Remember go very lightly with the 0000 steel wool.

Thanks samnev

I am selling the gun so I need to decide whether to give it a go as you say? or sell cheaper as it is? what do you think?

Cheers

?

when you decide on price , drop me a line pls

?

Quote by dcfc1234 View Post
    Thanks samnev

I am selling the gun so I need to decide whether to give it a go as you say? or sell cheaper as it is? what do you think?

Cheers
    If it were mu weapon I would try the 0000 steel wool and hand cleaner on a small location that is least visible to make sure it will not damage the finish which I assume is the usual baked on black. If it is ok then proceed and lightly go over the rest of the weapon. The hand cleaner will take off the dirt , dust and grime and lubricate the steel wool so that it glides smoothly over the finish. Start with very light pressure and clean small areas as you to see how much progress you are making and if you are harming the finish. If all is goes well continue. As I said I have restored many rusted weapons over the years using this method. Just go slowly and lightly and wipe off areas you have cleaned as you go to see if it needs more cleaning.
    In answer to your question I would attempt to clean it up as best you can then try to sell it. I don't think you have anything to loose. If you are successful you should recover quite a bit more than if you leave it in it's present condition.
    Cheers,
    Sam

Thanks Sam

If I have no takers today then I will give it a good clean tomorrow.

Will keep you informed and many thanks again.

?

Quote by dcfc1234 View Post
    Thanks Sam

If I have no takers today then I will give it a good clean tomorrow.

Will keep you informed and many thanks again.
    I hope you can sell your Sten but if you don't just be careful you don't reve any of the remaining finish which is why I suggested starting in a small area in an uncospicuos area and make sure none of the remaing ffinish is harmed.
    Good Luck
    Sam

This STEN is intresting in that it has a NP nitro proof stamp. What is the date on the Deac stamp? This may have been a semi conversion before they were banned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12