Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Submitting a weapon for deactivation you dont have an FAC for

Article about: I'm looking for the advice on behalf of a friend, basicly the story goes that her grandfather had a couple of old shotguns and when he died they put them on the wall just for display in his

Default Submitting a weapon for deactivation you dont have an FAC for

I'm looking for the advice on behalf of a friend, basicly the story goes that her grandfather had a couple of old shotguns and when he died they put them on the wall just for display in his memory. But after speaking to her about it, I personally think that they might in fact not be as obsolete as they think they are.

So to avoid them getting in trouble with the law for owning them I advised them to have them deactivated as they are reluctant to hand them over to be destroyed because of who they previously belonged to. But the big thing that might be an issue is the fact that they dont have a firearms licence, which could raise questions and in turn cause them problems when they submit the weapons for deactivation.

I know this is a bit of a touchy subject as its regarding the firearms laws, but what would the best way to go about this as there might be someone on here that has been in a similar situation.

Thanks

Danny

Default Re: Submitting a weapon for deactivation you dont have an FAC for

Danny,

I would be suprised if the police would consider these guns obsolete. I don't know the time scale between the old fella dying and you taking an interest in the matter, so my advice to you is to get a friend, or better still, a gun dealer who has a shotgun or firearms certificate to say that they were given to him by the family when they found them in the loft/shed/cupboard or otherwise at his house, or even say, theirs, very recently. The police will have to prove there was knowledge of the weapons existance, and that they were purposely held with the knowledge they were live.

The request that they be allowed to be deactivated as they wish to retain the weapons legally should then be permitted.

Under no circumstances should these weapons be kept live. I've even known the police take a dim view of deacts hung on beams and over fireplaces. Be careful.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks for the information Ned, top class as always

I've just had a proper good look at them and they are both pretty old muzzle loading shotguns thus falling under section 58, so no licence is needed to own them as they dont have any intention of using them for shooting The old guy that used to have them was using them up until his death (he must have either been stupid or brave) which was only a few years ago, he had the FAC for them though but where that is now I don't know

Thanks

Danny

?

If they are capable of being loaded and fired , i believe a Shotgun licence is still required, im not too sure regarding Firearms laws now as they keep changing, but the advice that Ned gave is sound, personally i would apply for a licence whilst both weapons are being held by someone who is licenced, the fact that there was a licence in force may well constitute an offence by having them , but as i say the laws may have changed

Just found this online......

Part I: Old weapons which should benefit from exemption as antiques under section 58 (2) of the Firearms Act 1968

8.5 Pre-1939 weapons to benefit from exemption as antiques are as follows:

a) All muzzle-loading firearms;
    b) Breech-loading firearms capable of discharging a rimfire cartridge other than 4mm, 5mm, .22 inch or .23 inch (or their metric equivalents), 6mm or 9mm rimfire;
    c) Breech-loading firearms using ignition systems other than rimfire and centrefire (These include pin-fire and needle-fire ignition systems, as well as the more obscure lip fire, cup-primed, teat fire and base fire systems);
    d) Breech-loading centrefire arms originally chambered for one of the obsolete cartridges listed in Appendix 5 and which retain their original chambering;

Looks like even though the weapons in question havent been deactivated, they are still perfectly ok to own as collectables not for actual use due to them being pre 1939 and muzzle loading

Thanks

Danny

They are perfectly legal to own with out a licence. The only time when they would need to have a licence is if they intended to fire them.

I'm sure glade I live in the U.S.A. although I wish we could keep intact receivers. I really want a Mp 44 that's a whole display piece.

Hi,
    Good info Ned and Danny, We have a lot of old shotguns down here in cornwall that people keep as display pieces. most are welded up in the chamber so cant take cartriges, i had two with this done when i gave up my certificate, and they were ok to keep.
    dave,