Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thompson serial number help.

Article about: Not only were they supplied as individual small arms, they were also supplied as part of the standard kit that went in the Shermans. The Russians pulled them out and stored them b/c they did

Default Re: Thompson serial number help.

One thing what do you mean by stripable?

/Mick

Quote by Mickzilla View Post
    One thing what do you mean by stripable?

/Mick
    You should be able to take the gun apart.... If you so wished!

Reg
    ?

Thompsons were sent to the Russians under lend lease, They just didnt like them ur use them very much, the Thompsons that Ryton arms sell mostly come from ex-Russian stocks of these, with german bread bag straps as slings.

Cheers
    Reg

the thompsons i used to hire for re enactments of vickers sporting surplus all came from russia the chap who hired them out went over there and bought several crates of them all brand new never been fired . they were sent over there during ww2 under a lend lease agreement but he was told they were never used as the ship transporting the ammo was sunk, how true this is i dont know but all the crates were marked in russian over u.s. markings, he deactervated some and used the others for hire outs

Quote by WoodyUK View Post
    You should be able to take the gun apart.... If you so wished!
    Ahh ok Well you can take some of it apart. But some of it cant you take apart, because it is deactivated by the Danish laws.

/Mick

He says that i can take the handle the magazine, and some other thing i cant really translate in English, cant remember the word for it!

/Mick

I see it has the crossed canons ordnance mark, so it was made after October 1942.The Russians were supplied with 137,768 guns, but not all of them arrived as the ships were sunk on route.It's estimated about 200,000 Thompsons were lost!

Sorry guys... I stand corrected! I wasn't aware that Thompsons were sent to the Russians. I'd love to see some images of the Russians using the 'Tommy Gun'.... they must be pretty scarce!

Glad to see Reg has put you right

I have one photo (staged) of a Soviet Lend lease M3 tank & the crew armed with Thompsons. They even wear US tankers helmets. The vehicle has a .30 cal MG mounted on it too.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Glad to see Reg has put you right
    I'll consider my behind well and truely tanned!!

It's a very interesting fact though! I know hardware was supplied to the Russian's, but I had no idea that Thompson SMG's were included in this!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast