MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Thompson SMG.

Article about: Hi guys just a quick head scratcher really,did Thompson produce both finned and smooth barrel with "cutts" conpensator along side each other time frame wise or did the smooth barre

Default Thompson SMG.

Hi guys just a quick head scratcher really,did Thompson produce both finned and smooth barrel with "cutts" conpensator along side each other time frame wise or did the smooth barrel version supersede the finned?can't find the relivant info regarding dating etc,thanks............

If I don't get wrong, smooth barrels (without compensator) superseded the finned, at the time of the M1 model adoption in '42.
    I will be more correct when I'll be back home, I have to check a book.

Well, I checked the data, and both Savage and AOC ceased to produce the finned barrels, adopting the smooth version, faster and cheaper to make. But Savage starded producing smooth barrels before AOC, so actually both barrel types were produced (for a short time) alongside, but in different plants.
    Smooth barrels with compensator were used in the late 1928A1 production, more or less from the beginning of '42 until July, when this model was superseded by the M1, devoided of compensator.