Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Tribal flintlock rifle

Article about: Hello About a month ago I picked up this interesting rifle at a swiss recycling dump of all places. I luckily picked it up before anyone else, as i had already narrowly missed a vintage swis

Default Tribal flintlock rifle

Hello
    About a month ago I picked up this interesting rifle at a swiss recycling dump of all places. I luckily picked it up before anyone else, as i had already narrowly missed a vintage swiss army rifle months before. As i have no expertise in the field of firearms i was wondering if any of the experts here could help identify it. It appears to be quite crudely made but it shows some signs of age. The fact that the ornamental feature are made of genuine ivory also suggest it being at least 50 years old. Due to the features of the flintlock system i believe it could be an authentic firearm rather than a cheap souvenir, but I stand to be corrected!
    Thank you for any helpTribal flintlock rifleTribal flintlock rifleTribal flintlock rifle

Default Re: Tribal flintlock rifle

Other side
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tribal flintlock rifle  

HI Felix,

The rifle is a copy of an Arabic type Jezail or camel gun. It's not particularly old, just made to look that way. The inlay is bone not ivory and if you look closely at the lock plate you can see signs of case hardening from a blowtorch below the frizzen.

A tourist made piece, but for nothing it's a decent wall hanger.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks!
    THats what i thought but wasnt sure. It looks great on my wall and you cant beat anything you got for free!