Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Two Carcano's

Article about: Both nice rifles. I have to get one some day.........!

MAP
    ?

Default Two Carcano's

This was a busy week emptying out my bank account. Luckily these Carcano's are about as expensive as German Tinnies!!

Picked these two up. Run of the mills Carcano's but not "imports" and one is the less seen 7.35mm version.

#1) Carcano M38 short rifle. 7.35mm. Dated 1939 XVII. Matching stock with cartouch (FABE D. ARMI R.E. TERNI 1939 XVII). Manufactured at the Italian Small Arms Arsenal at Terni. Even had the cleaning rods in buttstock.

The stock appears to have been vanished but I've seen many like this.

The odd part is the strange stampings on the receiver ring. Anyone recognize these? It is an 84 over an E L 3. The E L 3 runs right through the 1929 XVII stamp.

Two Carcano'sTwo Carcano'sTwo Carcano'sTwo Carcano'sTwo Carcano'sTwo Carcano'sTwo Carcano'sTwo Carcano'sTwo Carcano's

#2 Model 1891/41 Carcano Infantry Fucile (Long) rifle FAT 42 (Fabbricca d'Arma Terni). Caliber 6.5mm. Non-matching stock. Firing proof mark (right side of receiver ring).

Two Carcano'sTwo Carcano'sTwo Carcano'sTwo Carcano'sTwo Carcano'sTwo Carcano'sTwo Carcano's
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Nice rifles. I looked at my 3 M-38's. None have those stampings.How is the headspace? Clips and slings are everywhere for them. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

MAP
    ?

Quote by rra227 View Post
    Nice rifles. I looked at my 3 M-38's. None have those stampings.How is the headspace? Clips and slings are everywhere for them. Rich A. in Pa.
    Rich,

Haven't checked the headspace but don't plan on firing it anyway. Are your thoughts on the headspacing being potentially related to the marks? I will when I'm back from the road.

My other M-38's don't have these markings either. I find it quite odd. Lots of Patina in the markings so I don't think anyone would fake something like this, for of all things, a run of the mill Carcano that costs the same as a nice lunch! :-)

Regards,

Michael

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The M38 in 7.35mm is a Finnish army ('SA in a box' on the receiver) example-Italy was a major exporter to the Finns.

PS-see this site-Finnish but in English (more or less)FINNISH ARMY 1918 - 1945: RIFLES PART 6
    The EL markings are probably Finnish unit markings.

MAP
    ?

Quote by lithgow View Post
    The M38 in 7.35mm is a Finnish army ('SA in a box' on the receiver) example-Italy was a major exporter to the Finns.
    Quote by lithgow View Post
    PS-see this site-Finnish but in English (more or less)FINNISH ARMY 1918 - 1945: RIFLES PART 6
    The EL markings are probably Finnish unit markings.

Thanks Lithgow,

I do remember reading that many (most??) of the 7.35mm were sold to the Finn. Just never knew how to identify them.

I actually like even more now!!! I wonder if the Finns also varnished the stock?

Will check out the link! Appreciate the feedback!

Michael

?

I have no idea what the marks are. Did you post them on Gunboards? To bad you are not going to shoot them. Rich A. in Pa.

MAP
    ?

I have no idea what the marks are. Did you post them on Gunboards? To bad you are not going to shoot them. Rich A. in Pa.
    Rich.

I have a few other "beater" carcanos I can shoot. Besides with the cost of ammo these days I've been sticking to my 22's

?

I forgot how much ammo is now. I have 100 & 120 round boxes of 7.35 on M.G. clips that I had for a long time. I also reload 7.35 and 6.5.. Rich A. in Pa.

MAP
    ?

I forgot how much ammo is now. I have 100 & 120 round boxes of 7.35 on M.G. clips that I had for a long time. I also reload 7.35 and 6.5.. Rich A. in Pa.
    No time for me to reload. Plus I shoot with my 9 and 11 year old so 22's are the best fit. 500 rounds at $35 a brick. Can't beat it. and no sore shoulder the next day.

And they don't disturb the neighbors when I go out in the backyard to shoot!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast