Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Two PPSh-41s... opinions on comparison?

Article about: Ok, so some of you have probably seen my first thread about my non-blued/parkerized PPSh-41 I have. I've always preferred the aesthetics of the typical blued examples however, and have wante

Default Two PPSh-41s... opinions on comparison?

Ok, so some of you have probably seen my first thread about my non-blued/parkerized PPSh-41 I have. I've always preferred the aesthetics of the typical blued examples however, and have wanted a standard example of the WW2 weapon. I have read that there is no evidence of the non-blued finish being original to the WW2 dated guns, and something untrue to the original is not what I want. Therefore I recently bought a blued example, though the condition of the wood on the stock is not nearly as nice looking or in good condition (didn't get a choice). Both are WW2 dated, but what I'd like to know, is which if not both do you think is closest to it's original War-time condition. The blued example was submitted for deactivation by a company listed as 'Armed Forces / National Defence', which gave me the idea that the weapon was obtained by the Army somehow. Maybe it was issued elsewhere and captured post-war? Or maybe I have it wrong, and it's just a military related company that dealt with it, but they have no shop so I'm not sure. The company's purpose more than likely has no relevence or significance, but it made me curious. Either way, the example bought from them doesn't appear to have been refurbished and seems to have seen action, whereas the other PPSh-41 would appear to be the opposite. I'm no expert though. I know it came from Soviet stocks where most were refurbished.
    I can only keep one, and must sell the other, so I'd like to hear advice / thoughts and any info on these. Sorry in advance for any incoherence, I wasn't too sure on how to word all of this any simpler.

Mat
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Two PPSh-41s... opinions on comparison?   Two PPSh-41s... opinions on comparison?  

Two PPSh-41s... opinions on comparison?   Two PPSh-41s... opinions on comparison?  

Two PPSh-41s... opinions on comparison?   Two PPSh-41s... opinions on comparison?  

Default Re: Two PPSh-41s... opinions on comparison?

Before you decide, take the wood off the blued one and soak it in Boiled Linseed Oil as it looks really really dry. The grain should show better and give it a better finish, it also may swell the dents out a bit.

I would go for the blued example personally as it looks more like a wartime issue gun. I agree, with a bit of elbow grease the wood work could be improved a lot.

Nothing wrong with the other one, but is is post war reworked.

Cheers, Ade.

Reg
    ?

Wink Re: Two PPSh-41s... opinions on comparison?

Hi Mat

I was in a similar position earlier in the year, after wanting one for ages I ended up with two, the mrs noticed I had two matching and began the "why" questions, adding a stick mag to one of them convinced her that I had replaced it with a different model

I did a little work on the stock as the second was a little tatty (lighter wood) it came up quite nicely, using boiled linseed oil, a tip I got on here....probably from M3 Bobby

I like the blued one most too, but if you wanted a reason to have two in your collection I thoght Ild pop the tip....

Cheers
    Reg
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Two PPSh-41s... opinions on comparison?  

?

I would keep the one which is the least buggered up internally, the exterior is only cosmetic and superficial. If you like the blued finish better and the parkerised gun is the best of the two then reblue it. There is a hot rust bluing called Radocy that is dead easy to use, and no special equipment is needed.

The old guns below were reblued using Radocy.

Thanks for the responses, I think I've decided I'll go with the blued example. As for treating the stock with Linseed, on the German helmet forum I see collectors allways advise against altering the condition of helmets- so would this not be considered devaluing also to a piece of history? I'm just curious.

Reg: I like your tactic with the different magazines fitted! haha, if I had the money to keep two I would do that for sure.

Mick: both weapons are deactivated and simply for display, so I'm just going for which best represents a WW2 issued PPSh-41. I collect for historical interest.

Mat

Applying Boiled Linseed oil is fine as your not altering the condition. The BLO gets into the wood and gives it some nutrician, Armys of all nationalaties have used BLO or similar to protect the wood for hundreds of years. It will help stop the wood cracking and keep the damp out. All I do is place the stock in a pyrex dish full of blow and then gently warm on the cooker, not boiling though, just warm. You can see the BLO convecting around the stock and it will remove some of the grease and oil from the wood and help rehydrate it. Take the stock out and wipe off the excess, then hang for a while to allow the remaining oit to drip off (Some oil is forced out again as the wood cools). All you need to do then is buff up the wood to a nice luster (It dosnt buff to a gloss finish so dont worry). If you leave it for 12 months it will probably revert back to its dry state and therefor isn't permanent.

Reg
    ?

Hi Mat

The great "Patina" debate! Some collectors take a hard line on this, some more liberal. I think in this case its more of a case of preservation not restoration, and its still the original wood to the gun any stampings will be retained and it will look a little nicer and add a little to the sellability should you need to.

But remember its your property at the end of the day, and both are nice in their own regard. I like the re-bluing idea too, nice results on those revolvers Mick!

Cheers
    Reg