Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Type 14 Japanese Nambu

Article about: Hi All, I have a friend who acquired a Type 14 Nambu, with extra mag, extra firing pin, cleaning rod and holster. This was apparently a vet bring-back. My friend is looking to sell the entir

?

Default Type 14 Japanese Nambu

Hi All,
    I have a friend who acquired a Type 14 Nambu, with extra mag, extra firing pin, cleaning rod and holster. This was apparently a vet bring-back.

My friend is looking to sell the entire set and I was trying to help them to value it (I have no interest in buying, but want to make sure they don't under value). I only have the photo below and they haven't taken photos of the arsenal marks as of yet, which of course would help to identify the year of manufacture.

In any case, using the information I have, I valued the items, in ranges, as so:

Nambu $800 (war time example) - $1200 (pre-war)
    Extra Mag $100 - $150
    Extra Firing Pin $75 - $100
    Cleaning Rod $50 - $100
    Holster $150 - $200 (due to top part being detached)

So, range of value for the entire group is $ 1,500 - $ 2,000 (when you factor in the fact this has been together as a set since war time).

Would I be correct in my valuation or am I way off the mark?

Thanks in advance!

Type 14 Japanese Nambu

?

Default Re: Type 14 Japanese Nambu

I should have added this earlier, but the assumption (without having done a hands on and field stripping it) is that all of the parts are matching.

?

just my opinion, but I think the price is kind of high. people can ask high retail on anything, but what it will actually sell for can be very different. looking on gun broker Rifles, Shotguns and Handguns for Sale - Buy Handguns, Rifles, and Shotguns Online at GunBroker.com
    there are at least 2 others with the flap loose from the holster, and the guns look a little cleaner too. look at the bids. the ones with high starting prices wont even get a bid. I have been watching them. I recently picked up a rubberized canvas holster with a loose top like the one shown. other than the loose flap it is minty, it cost me very little. value comes down to what it will actually sell for. the higher sale values are usually reserved for mint examples. my opinion of value on this group would be much less .

?

Thanks for the input, Andrew!

I also posted this over at WRF and ranges provided varied from $400-$800+/-. Some examples of completed listings from Gunbroker showed them selling in the $500 (w/nicer holster but none of the other extras) to $800 (nice example with extra mag, but no holster, no extra firing pin, no cleaning rod and broken firing pin).

Based on those sales and the indiviudal sales of the accessories on Ebay (firing pin, holster, etc.), I guess as a set, $1000 would be more realistic?

To throw a wrench into the mix, I just spoke with my friend and they said a dealer offered them $1200 for everything. I would imagine the dealer would want it for resale. Am I missing something here, or should I tell my friend to jump on it?

?

hi Eric,
    I guess if it's something your friend has no use for. the $1,200. offer is pretty good. if I were him I would sell it for that.
    andrew

?

Quote by Andrew View Post
    hi Eric,
    I guess if it's something your friend has no use for. the $1,200. offer is pretty good. if I were him I would sell it for that.
    andrew
    I agree with Andrew i would jump on the $1200 offer.

Unless we're missing something in the pics - like it's a grandfather Nambu, or something experimental - I would say $1200 is a smoking offer.
    These are for sale very often on the local classifieds, with holsters, at most gun shops and certainly all over GB for considerably less than that price.

Hello Eric, It's certainly a great set-particularly with all the extras, but I would have to agree that the $1000 valuation is probably abit more on target than the earlier. If there has been a $1,200 offer, that is a very decent and reasonable offer and I would very much advise accepting it! Good luck!

(Nambu's were actually Very well made automatics but for the fact of using the oddball obsolete caliber ammunition, they would Absolutely be valued much higher today!)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

They are very elegant firearms, I like them, but Wagriff is right the ammo is not as easy to get your hands on as 9mm.
    The Nambus are worthy of collecting, I think we will never see prices this low again, even the Jap 94 - a bit of a pig - still possesses a strange symmetry and can be had very economically. The Shin Gunto "factory" blade swords no one wanted a few years ago are now four figures wherever you see them.